In a city that’s known for its lively spirit even during the coldest of months, Halloween in Montreal is no exception. Beyond the costumed nights held at bars and clubs across the city, here are some of the larger events, traditions, and attractions that you can add to your Halloween experience.
Village Hanté / Haunted Village
Located just outside of Montreal in Drummondville, Le Village Hanté is open in the evenings from Fridays through Sundays, from September 29th to November 4th. Fun and creepy for kids and adults alike, there’s a special zone for children where they can play games and participate in pumpkin carvings, get their faces painted, explore a labyrinth, and more—with the intention of entertaining them, not scaring them. For adults, the immersive reenactments of monsters, zombies, ghosts and more can be truly horrifying.
Montreal Zombie Walk
This year, the Montreal Zombie Walk will occur on Saturday, October 28th. With free admission, the parade starts at 5 pm at Place des Festivals (at Maisonneuve/Bleury), and then it heads west on Maisonneuve, south on McGill College, east on Sainte-Catherine, and ending again at Place des Festivals. You can head downtown earlier for various related events that start at 1 pm, including a makeup space where you can get your face “zombiefied,” and afterward, there will be live shows by local bands PUP, Chocolat, and Duchess Says.
Rocky Horror Picture Show & Halloween Ball
Claiming to be the biggest Rocky Horror Picture Show experience in North America, this is certainly a much-anticipated annual Halloween event in Montreal. With show times at 8 pm and 11 pm on October 27th, 28th, and 31st at the Cinema Imperial in the heart of the Quartier des Spéctacles, you can watch the original cult classic movie on the big screen while a large cast performs live on stage. This year’s film spectacle host is Tranna Wintour, who will also supervise the event’s costume contest—so come dressed to impress!
Cinema Imperial, 1430 Rue de Bleury, Montréal, QC, Canada, +1 514 884 7187
La Ronde Fright Fest
Every weekend from September 30 to October 29, 2017, Montreal’s amusement park, La Ronde, turns into a haunted hot spot full of zombies, demons, and ghouls. At Fright Fest, the whole family can partake in activities throughout the day, but it’s in the evenings that the spooks are set free for their daily hunting rituals. There are haunted houses and scare zones located throughout the park. The stuff of nightmares lurks around every corner, as the dark of night washes over the park. New for 2017 is the “Nightmare” lineup of rides and mazes.
La Ronde, 22 Chemin Macdonald, Montréal, QC, Canada, +1 514 397 2000
SIN – Halloween Haunted House
Calling itself “Montreal’s only guided house of haunts,” SIN at the Théâtre Ste. Catherine, now in its 7th year, is an interactive haunted house experience that is 18+ only. The guided tours, which cost $20, start at 8 pm on October 28th and go through the 31st, and it will take you “through a labyrinth of hellish sins and mortal punishments.” It is a popular Halloween event, and you’ll want to arrive early because the lines can get long. It closes at midnight.
Théâtre Ste. Catherine, 264 St Catherine St E, Montreal, QC, Canada, +1 514 284 3939
Haunted Montreal Ghost Tours
Haunted Montreal offers a variety of spooky tours around Montreal, and for Halloween 2017, you won’t want to miss their Haunted Mountain tour of Mont Royal. This after-dark tour starts in the Plateau neighborhood at a bar that is rumored to be haunted, and it visits different haunted sites heading up the mountain—including several locations where ghosts have reportedly been sighted. The tours are led by theatrical guides who are professional actors and storytellers, who recount the ghost stories, mysteries, and legends that surround Mont Royal, such as the haunted hospital, cemeteries, and history of paranormal activities on the mountain.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.