Montreal has plenty of fun activities for adventurous couples who are also on a budget. Especially during the summer months, there are plenty of free festivals and music events to enjoy together. Here are some free or cheap date ideas around the city, ranging from classic Montreal activities to active excursions.
Explore a market together
There are several large and well-known markets in Montreal, including Marché Jean-Talon, Atwater, and Maisonneuve. You’ll find couples strolling hand in hand through the fresh produce and flowers, stopping to sample different fruits or indulge in some artisanal ice cream.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cycle through the city’s prettiest spots
For the active couple, cycling around the city can be a great way to spend time together. You can take your bikes (or use the city’s BIXI bike rental system) and take a couple’s ride through the Lachine Canal, into Griffintown, and/or through the Old Port.
On a Sunday during the summer months, you and your significant other can go over to Mont-Royal and experience the Tam-Tams, a huge weekly drum circle that gathers around the George-Étienne Cartier Monument. The session usually starts around 10:30 am and continues until sunset, bringing together an eclectic array of musicians, performers, vendors, and other visitors.
While you’re in Mont-Royal Park and the weather is lovely, you can take a stroll through the forested paths and trails up to the lookout and take selfies together with the impressive city skyline behind you.
Picnic in a park
Montreal has countless lovely parks to explore, and during the summer months, you’ll find many couples lounging together in the grass with snacks and maybe even a bottle of wine. Try Jarry, Agrignon, or La Fontaine parks, which sit in very different neighborhoods and have their own distinct character.
Take a walking tour
Montreal is a very walkable city, and there are plenty of fascinating tours that can be of interest to visitors and locals alike. Getting to know the city from another perspective can be a fun experience to have together. Try a mural tour for a creative edge, or a tour of the romantic Old Port, or if you’re feeling brave, you can check out a nighttime ghost tour together.
For couples that are not self-conscious, Cinema L’Amour on St. Laurent offers a variety of vintage erotic films (as well as pornographic films), and it’s free for couples on Mondays and Tuesdays, as well as on Wednesdays during happy hour.
Cinema L’Amour, 4015 Boulevard Saint-Laurent, Montreal, QC, Canada, +1 514 849 6227
For a good laugh, head over to Comedy Nest in downtown Montreal for $5 Newbie Tuesdays or Comedy Lab Wednesdays. The performers will be a mixed bag of beginners taking their first steps into the world of stand-up, or otherwise professional or semi-professional comedians testing out new material.
Comedy Nest, 2313 Saint-Catherine St W, Montreal, QC, Canada, +1 514 932 6378
Especially if the weather is cold, you can imagine yourselves enjoying balmier climates by heading over to the Biodôme together. Here, you can explore over 4,500 animals from around the world, including 500 plant species, all under one roof.
Biodôme, 4777 Pierre-de Coubertin Ave, Montreal, QC, Canada, +1 514 868 3000
Part of the same complex as the Biodôme, you can also explore the wonders of space and gaze at the stars together at the Rio Tinto Alcan Planetarium. Similarly, adult admission is around $15 for Quebec residents and $20 for visitors. Admission is only $8 on Thursday evenings after 5:30 pm.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.