There’s a reason Niagara Falls is a must-visit for Canadians and visitors. Besides the astounding beauty of the Horseshoe Falls itself, the Niagara Falls region of Canada is home to thrilling and relaxing activities. Tourists can get close to the rumbling waters; nature lovers can explore the many attractions, and there are the astounding Niagara Fireworks shows for everyone. If you’re planning a visit to the Falls, this guide of must-do activities will ensure a perfect trip.
The Hornblower Niagara Cruise
Not to be confused with the ‘Maid of the Mist’ operated by the United States, the ‘Hornblower Cruise’ is a thrilling Canadian cruise on the Niagara. Two 700-passenger capacity catamaran boats carry enthusiastic tourists to the mouth of the raging waterfalls. The cruise starts from the Canadian dock at the base of the Niagara gorge and steers past the American Falls, the Bridal Veils Falls and finally lands in the gushing waters of the Horseshoe Falls. This Niagara Falls boat tour experience is the oldest attraction of North America and has been enjoyed by famous dignitaries and celebrities including the likes of Marilyn Monroe, Mikhail Gorbechev, and Princess Diana.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Journey Behind the Falls
The Journey Behind the Falls takes visitors through a tunnel dug into bedrock one-third its way behind the massive sheet of waters of the Horseshoe Falls. Two viewing portals, the Cataract Portal and the Great Falls Portal, are two open windows in the tunnel, offering awe-inspiring views of the 2,800 cubic meters of water thundering down from a height of 13 stories, into the basin below. Outside the tunnel, there are also two upper and lower observation decks that allow tourists to watch the falls, up close and personal. Passengers are provided with biodegradable ponchos to avoid getting drenched by the flying mist of the waterfalls.
The Niagara Whirlpool Aerocar Ride
The Whirlpool Aerocar is an electrifying adventure ride over the Niagara whirlpool where the Niagara River turns abruptly in an counter-clockwise direction. The antique cable car was designed by Spanish engineer, Leonardo Torres Quevedo, in operation since 1916. The ride (safely!) transfers 35 passengers along a round-trip distance of about 1 kilometer over the dangerous waters of the Niagara Whirlpool. The Whirlpool Aerocar also offers some breathtaking views of the Niagara gorge, the Niagara Whirlpool and the raging Niagara rapids.
The White Water Walk
A boardwalk unlike any other in the world takes tourists along one of the wildest stretches of whitewater in the world. The White Water Walk includes traveling past the Niagara rapids on a 305 meter-long boardwalk with two observation decks at the edge of the violent Niagara River. The Niagara rapids are Class 6 whirlpool rapids where waters travel at a rate of 48 kilometer per hour along this stretch of the river with three to four meter-tall standing waves. No boats are allowed in these treacherous waters, but we highly recommend checking them out via the safety of the boardwalk.
Bird Kingdom of Niagara
The Bird Kingdom is a must-see for any bird lover. A world class attraction with exotic birds, reptiles and other animals, it is one of the largest free flying aviaries in the world. Here, in the Animal Encounters section, visitors can handle and take pictures with colorful macaws, boa snakes, iguanas and other animals that are safe to handle. In the Night Jungle, visitors encounter nocturnal creatures like owls, bats and some reptiles. The major attraction of this spot is, however, the Bird Kingdom: a multi-level rainforest with vibrant exotic birds flying freely. macaws, African grey parrot, blue crowned pigeon, budgerigar, and easter rosella are a few of the many species of colorful birds found in the Bird Kingdom.
Butterfly Conservatory Niagara
If you’re more a butterfly person than a bird person, Butterfly Conservatory Niagara hosts over 2000 vibrant, fluttering butterflies in a magical environment with lush and flowering exotic vegetation. Visitors can take a self-guided tour of the conservatory. Be sure to check out the Emergence Window in the conservatory for a view of butterflies emerging from their pupae. Check out butterflies enjoying feeding plates throughout the conservatory, while freely fluttering butterflies land themselves on your head or shoulders. Make sure to bring along your camera: the conservatory is a photographer’s paradise and a small wonderland for both children and adults.
The Niagara Glen Nature Reserve Area
Niagara Glen is a gorgeous spot in the Niagara Gorge area and is designated as a Nature Reserve area. The Glen has four kilometer-long trails that wind through a pristine Carolinian forest region. The region hosts some important plant and animal species; visitors to this place must be cautious to follow only designated trails and leave behind nothing more than footprints. The Niagara Glen offers a peaceful retreat into the heart of nature, overlooking the stunning Niagara Whirlpool rapids.
The Niagara Falls Fireworks Show
The Niagara Falls fireworks show offers one of the most memorable fireworks display in the world. The backdrop doesn’t hurt: fireworks explode in the night sky, illuminating the Niagara Falls. Fireworks schedules are available on the official website; last moment schedule changes are always a possibility, given the weather-dependent nature of fireworks. Take the risk and try to ensure you catch a show. By Dr. Oishimaya Sen Nag Dr. Oishimaya Sen Nag, a Ph.D. in biochemistry from Kolkata, India, is currently residing in Toronto and is engaged in full-time freelance writing. She travels widely and loves mingling with people of eclectic cultures and also participates in activities concerning wildlife conservation.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.