For the past few years, accommodations with an icy finish have become sought-after destinations for winter-loving travelers. For those that truly revel in the cold Canadian climate, a stay at Hôtel de Glace is most likely right up your snowy street. Founded by Jacques Desbois, this unique hotel is made entirely out of ice and snow and is the only ice hotel in North America. Located in the happening resort of Valcartier village, this stunning miniature frosted palace is the place to catch some winter sun.
Jacques Desbois, the founder of the Hôtel de Glace, has always been passionate about winter and the snow. He was even nicknamed Mr. Igloo after establishing La Piste Desbois, an ecotourism company operating in the design of interactive igloo villages. In 1996, he became inspired by an article about the Icehotel in Sweden. Believing that if an ice hotel could be created in Sweden, it could also be done in Québec, so Desbois traveled to Jukkasjärvi to learn more and meet the creators of the majestic white structure.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In 2001, the first Hôtel de Glace was erected at Montmorency Falls. It was then built at Station Touristique Duchesnay for nine years and moved on again to the old site of the Québec Zoo in 2011. In 2016, the Hôtel de Glace joined forces with Valcartier Vacations Village and became a focal point of the resort.
This year, 500 tons of ice and 30,000 tons of snow were used to create the hotel’s dazzling ice sculptures, 45 rooms, and themed suites. In addition to this, for 2018, inspired by the circus, Hôtel de Glace has created an eccentric show full of traditional circus acts, which visitors can see under a giant tent made out of snow and ice.
The hotel offers winter-loving travelers a number of different room options and packages for their visit. The original Hôtel de Glace rooms emanate the intimacy of an igloo. Each themed suite comes with a unique design and vibe and has a sculpture made of ice or snow as well as ambient lighting. Premium suites come with a fireplace, but if you fancy a real splurge, go for the premium deluxe arctic spa suite that has a private spa.
Guests of the hotel can also enjoy a stunning Nordic area with hot tubs and a sauna under the stars, an ice bar, ice chapel, and grand ice slide for people of all ages. Overnight adventurers or visitors who are staying longer can take full advantage of little luxuries during their stay (a welcome cocktail, Nordic equipment for the night, access to spas and the sauna, and breakfast) as well as explore a number of attractions close by in Valcartier village.
The most exciting attraction is a winter playground with more than 35 snow slides; it is open from December to March from 10 AM to 9 PM where both kids and grown-up kids can experience speeding down slides called the Himalayas, the Everest or the Tornado. Visitors also have the option of booking treatments at Valcartier Spa, dog-sledding or checking out some great restaurants. For those craving warmer temperatures, there’s a heated indoor water park with all the trimmings, including a large wave pool, slides, family pool, a multi-activity adventure river, a double surf wave, and places for relaxation.
In Québec, winter temperatures vary from -25°C to 5°C (-13°F to 41°F). To ensure visitors get the most out of their adventure and this unique winter experience, Hôtel de Glace recommends dressing properly and warmly with three layers at the very least. The hotel website offers essential information that will help visitors to prepare for their trip.
In 2018, Hôtel de Glace is open from January 4th until March 25th. If you are looking for a dreamy winter break away from the hustle and bustle of city life, this enchanting ice hotel is a perfect place to stay and experience the ultimate Nordic adventure.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.