The Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is filled with hidden gems and earthly beauties that basically force you out into nature for a hike. Sometimes downtown is draining and the best therapy is getting out into the crisp Autumn air. During this Fall season, bring a friend to some of these outdoor havens and go for a hike!
Scarborough Bluffs Park
It’s hard to believe that these gorgeous cliffs are only about half an hour away from downtown Toronto. Scarborough Bluffs’ hiking path lets you walk alongside the beautiful water of shining Lake Ontario and up to an amazing view that is filled with orange and yellow leaves. Keep a jacket with you for heavy lake-effect winds, but the views will take your breath away.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
High Park is perfect for those who are just getting used to going on long hikes or walks. The walk is easy and there is no incline, but the views are just amazing. The entire park’s pathways are lined with trees that are currently changing colors. The greatest part about this GTA hiking venue is that it is TTC (public transport) accessible for those who just want a simple day-trip away from the big city. High Park is also complete with a zoo, which makes this the perfect hiking spot for families and people with small children.
📍High Park, 1873 Bloor Street W, Toronto, ON, +416 338-0338
Evergreen Brickworks at Don River Trails
Evergreen Brickworks is the best place to see the skyline in all of the GTA. This former quarry is now the sight of a pathway that leads walkers through old brick buildings and views of the Don River valley. Take in a hike after you visit their weekly farmer’s market, complete with over 25 local farmers and their produce. The hiking path is over a 40-acre area that is complete with thriving greenlands, and ponds. The Fall foilage will blow you away as you walk by the water through natural paths. The instagram picture that you’ll get from this hike is worth the exercise.
Rattle Snake Point
Rattle Snake Point is all the way out in Milton, near the Niagara Escarpment which features a beautiful drop-off view of Lake Ontario. The hike is over 12 kilometers long, which obviously gives you a great workout. If you want to take it easy with the cardio, there is also a 7 kilometer trail which will takes you through to the Crawford Lake Conservation Area. The entire trail is covered with trees, but is still incredibly easy to navigate, even if you are new to the world of hiking. Either way, this hike will feed your soul!
📍Rattle Snake Point, 7200 Appleby Line, Milton, ON, +905 854-0262
Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
Mt. Pleasant Cemetery is located in the heart of Toronto, but will make it seem like you’ve stepped into a whole other dimension. Hike through beautiful statues, botanical gardens, and rare trees. This hike will remind you of the beauty and joy in life, and is the perfect escape from busy downtown Toronto.
Lynde Shores Conservation Area
This conservation area is actually best known for its wildlife viewing areas. If you want to spy on some of the rarest species of birds, Lynde Shores Conservation Area is for you. It’s like playing Pokemon Go, but in real life! Most of the trails are paved which makes this hike completely wheelchair – and stroller – accessible. Etobichoke park is only a 30-minute drive away from the city, where you’ll find a wildlife oasis to immerse yourself in.
Elora Gorge is hidden inside of the natural beauty of the town of Elora, which is a short drive on the 401. The gorge includes stunning views of plunging water, which is perfect for any amateur photographer or enthusiast. The hiking trail is ideal for all levels of hikers, meaning you won’t have to work up a huge sweat to get a great, relaxing view. This place is ideal during changing colors of the Fall, but be sure to check out this spot in the summer for kayaking and tubing in the gorge. It’s the perfect destination, rain or shine.
📍Elora Gorge 7400 Wellington County Rd 21, Elora, ON, +519 846-9742
The Ganaraska Trail begins in Port North on the edge of the sparkling north shore of Lake Ontario and takes you all the way to Glen Huron. This 400 kilometer trail is not for the weak of heart, and is definitely the most challenging hike on this list. The workout is worth it for hike experts who want to not only get their heart rate up, but also enjoy close up views of Lake Ontario. This trail is lengthy so don’t just start at the same spot every time if you want a variety of trails. You can join the trail from various points in the GTA including stops in Barrie, Orilla, and the captivating Wasaga Beach. This hike is the ultimate of all branch trails in the Toronto area, so definitely put this one on your bucket list.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.