Some go to Banff to explore its wilderness and natural landmarks, while others visit for its growing culinary scene – with specialties such as steaks from Albertan ranches and wine from British Columbia. Whatever your reason for visiting, these are the hostels you’ll want to stay at in Banff, Alberta – bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Banff International Hostel
Convenience is key at Banff International Hostel, where you’ll have access to two common rooms with cable TV, a fully equipped kitchen, a computer room with internet access and an on-site liquor store. Want the added convenience of a private bathroom? Opt for one of the hostel’s four-, six- or eight-bed private rooms. The hostel is in Banff centre, so everything else you’ll need is within walking distance of the hostel. Mount Norquay Ski Resort is also just a 15-minute drive away.
Hi Banff Alpine Centre
Thanks to this Banff hostel’s close proximity to the Bow River, the HI Banff Alpine Centre sees frequent visits from Banff’s wildlife. Its location makes the hostel an ideal choice for lovers of the outdoors, with hiking and snowshoe trails nearby, along with scenic viewpoints overlooking Bow Valley. Free local bus passes provide a budget-friendly way to explore the surrounding area, while top facilities – including a games room with pool table and a backyard with barbecue – help you to make the most of your time at the hostel.
Hi Lake Louise
Private loft rooms and a kids’ play area place make HI Lake Louise a great choice for budget-conscious families, and the full communal kitchen and daily activities such as movie nights and bonfire nights make it a great place to meet like-minded travelers. The hostel’s namesake is located a short drive away, as are local trails and the world-class Lake Louise Ski Resort. Not hiring a car? Hop on the hostel’s free shuttle, which will get you to the slopes in five minutes.
HI Mosquito Creek
Banff National Park is the perfect setting for this rustic hostel. HI Mosquito Creek may not offer running hot water or electricity, but it doesn’t compromise on natural beauty or outdoor pursuits, offering direct access to snowshoeing, backcountry skiing and hiking trails. After a long day of exploring, sink into a wood-burning sauna, relax by the outdoor firepit or retire inside to spend the evening by a cozy fireplace.
HI Rampart Creek
Fancy living off-grid? What HI Rampart Creek lacks in electricity and running water it makes up for with its wilderness location and mountainous scenery. Local trails and bolted climbing routes include the famous Weeping Wall. If you want to relax instead, take a dip in the nearby glacier-fed creek before heading back to warm up in the wood-burning sauna.
Samesun Banff has a stunning view of Cascade Mountain, and burgers and beers at on-site restaurant the Beaver. Situated right on the picturesque Banff Avenue, this hostel is the perfect base from which to explore the Rockies. Helpful 24-hour desk staff can provide lift passes and transportation to three nearby ski areas – Sunshine Village, Lake Louise and Norquay – and summer hiking destinations such as Moraine Lake, Emerald Lake and Banff Hot Springs.
Canmore Downtown Hostel
Just off Highway One, Canmore Downtown Hostel grants access to all of Canmore’s amenities. A shuttle takes you directly to Calgary Airport and Banff, while Elevation Place Recreation Centre – full of shops and restaurants – is a block away. Savvy travelers can cook their own meals in the hostel’s full kitchen and take advantage of on-site laundry facilities during their stay; take your pick of private rooms with ensuite bathrooms or dorm rooms with shared facilities.
YWCA Banff Hotel
As it’s a social enterprise, staying at the YWCA means you’ll be giving back while experiencing life in the heart of Banff National Park. The hostel reinvests its income into programs and services that protect local women, children and communities from violence. Its ideal location beside the beautiful Bow River is an added bonus. Expect a mix of private and shared rooms, as well as a shared kitchen and common area with TV.
Canmore Hotel Hostel
Built in 1890, this is one of the few landmarks remaining from the town’s mining history, but the hostel is by no means stuck in the past. Its legendary on-site nightclub the Ho was previously a popular meeting spot for railway workers and miners and is now the largest club in Canmore; enjoy live events and DJ sets during weekends, and a drink on one of two outdoor patios with views of the Three Sisters Mountains.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.