Pay homage to Toronto’s original distillery scene at any of these Toronto cocktail bars. From a decidedly Canadian Woodland old fashioned, to a simple Spanish wine and Coke, to a purple-hued mezcal – there’s never been a better time to expand your cocktail palate.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
While Toronto has always been famed for leading the charge in craft breweries, it’s never quite gotten credit where credit is due for cocktails. Home to a handful of historical distilleries that once brewed whiskey and rum, the city was practically born on the making of spirits and the people who loved to consume them. Today, the city is brimming with cocktail bars, whether you’re in search of a pink-hued jaunt for a girls’ night out, or a dark, cozy interior with a speakeasy vibe. Pull up a seat and enjoy a tipple at one of the best cocktail bars in Toronto.
Owned and operated by some of the biggest restaurateurs in Toronto – David Lee, Yannick Bigourdan and Franco Prevedello – it’s no surprise Carbon Bar is often packed on any given night. While the restaurant is a departure from the usual high-end fare offered by the group, it’s wood-smoked dishes clearly had an influence on the creation of the cocktail menu. Try the black margaritas, well mixed with added charcoal for a smoky flavor. With a menu focusing on brown liquor or tequila, this bar is for those who like their drinks tall, dark and strong.
While a cocktail bar named Cocktail Bar can be a little confusing, the long, creative menu makes this restaurant worth sussing out. This cocktail emporium is just one of three bars set up by restaurateur Jen Agg, all housed on Dundas West, which can make for a fun night of bar-hopping. Enter the compact space to find eclectic decor paired with candles, sleek marble counters and a patio with a plant mural displayed across the wall. Sample the Happy Accident for easy drinking, made with Cocchi Americano, hops, peach, gentian and sparkling wine.
Paris Paris is the perfect bar for a night out with friends who don’t exactly call themselves cocktail lovers. Boasting a huge selection of wine and beer to accompany the cocktail menu, all group members are guaranteed to leave satisfied. With a hand-made wood bar created by local craftsman Graham Waliczek and a home-grown vibe, the bar feels distinctly Canadian (though it should be noted it is labeled as a French restaurant). Try their own version of a tinto de verano, titled Kalimotxo, mixing tart red wine with bubbly Coca-Cola for a refreshing and unexpected mix.
One of the city’s newest cocktail bars, Daisy on Queen West stands out with a bright pink exterior and a sleek black neon sign out front. Inside, the former Rush Lane has been completely revamped with floral wallpaper and lush plants enveloping the bar, including the ceiling. With a mirrored infinity room and photo-worthy cocktails, this bar makes for the perfect girls’ night out. For a splash of color, sip on the Hazy Daisy, a purple-hued gin cocktail mixed with mezcal, floral rosewater, lemon and soda. They even offer bottle service for when you want to skip the club and indulge in an intimate night of speciality drinks.
Mother brings new meaning to home-grown, with many ingredients foraged or supplied directly from within the Toronto area. Created by chef Lionel Duke of BarChef, it’s no surprise the cocktail menu is ever-changing, along with the snack menu to keep ingredients seasonal and sustainable. Most of the drinks are garnished with edible plants and flowers directly from High Park and Trinity Bellwoods, such as the evergreen sprig in the Woodland Old Fashioned. The cocktail features Islay single malt scotch, American rye, a sherry and port reduction, “woodland” bitters, lacto-fermented Ontario grapes and cedar for a spicy mix.
Named after a quirky Prohibition-era word for booze, Project Gigglewater exudes a fun and relaxed sophistication from the moment you walk through the door. Styled with plush banquettes, a sleek curved bar and wood-lined ceiling, this bar is ideal for a laid-back evening with friends. The food menu is seasonal and small, but the cocktail list is long and inventive. For a boozy treat, order The Meat Hook, a combination of Punt e Mes vermouth, Rittenhouse rye, maraschino and Ardberg 10.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.