The Commercial Drive is a street located out of the center of Vancouver but is still easily accessable with a bit of walking or public transport. With a lot cultural and ethnic changes in the last century, it has evolved into a vibrant urban area with multi-cultural restaurants and a plethora of fun festivals. In particular, coffee shops dominate on Commercial Drive, here’s some of our favorite.
Joe’s Café Bar
The giant Portuguese flag in the window of Joe’s Café Bar gives away the origin of its coffee. The coffee shop’s interior is a bit dated, but that doesn’t affect the quality of coffee, which is fantastic. In addition to coffee, Joe’s Café Bar offers ice cream and hot Portuguese sandwiches. Many of the local older gentlemen seem to utilize the place as a social club, and many of them can be seen playing pool in the back a lot of the time. Unlike many Portuguese coffee shops, Joe’s offers a great ice cream float.
Joe’s Café Bar, 1150 Commercial Drive Vancouver, BC, Canada +1 604 255 1046
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Prado Café looks like a shop created by hipsters, for hipsters. Prado is a place where people come to work with their coffee and most of the customers can be seen with a laptop. The place has a great view of the Commercial Drive and is great for people watching. The interior is spacious with high ceilings and there is also a large table in the center of the coffee shop which serves as a communal seating area. The coffee is exceptional and Prado serves some of the best gluten-free muffins in the area.
Prado Café, 1938 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC, Canada +1 604 255 5537
The Drive used to be called Little Italy, and this place reflects the heritage. An Italian immigrant created Café Calabria in 1976. The coffee shop is massive, with ample seating. The Italian roots of the shop are really emphasized with the Italian music playing softly in the background and the décor that includes marble-looking statues, pictures, and small tables. Café Calabria offers great Italian coffee, paninis, pastries, and gelato. Perhaps one of the best things the café offers is the biscotti which is baked perfectly and, if nothing else has already, truly makes it feel as though you’re dining in Italy.
Café Calabria, 1745 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC, Canada +1 604 253 7017
Commercial Drive is the new location for the Moja Coffee roasters. It is fair to assume that the café side of the business was created to allow customers to taste the roaster’s product, and the coffee lives up to expectations. The roaster can be seen behind the counter, and the café itself is spacious, with a huge counter. Few tables and stark interior gives it a trendy feel. The pastries are exceptionally good and, like the coffee, are prepared onsite.
Moja Coffee, 1102 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC, Canada +1 604 879 6652
The Continental Coffee seems to be a very popular place, buy though the inside is packed, many just come in to buy bags of coffee. The place is big with a large window providing natural light and the rest of the decor is quite minimal, with a communal table and some smaller tables around the shop. In addition to great coffee, Continental Coffee also offers a phenomenal hot chocolate and a selection of savory pastries that aren’t frequently found in other coffee shops.
Continental Coffee, 1806 Commercial Drive Vancouver, BC, Canada +1 604 255 0712
Turk’s Coffee Bar
If you like cozy coffee bars with exceptional service, then Turk’s Coffee Bar, a small, funky coffee shop on the Drive, is the place for you. The interior is decorated with cool cartoon images blown up on the walls and the dishes. However, seating is limited inside and there is more of chance of grabbing a spot outside on the patio. The reason for its popularity is quite simple, the coffee and pastries are great. The hedgehog mocha in particular, is a must try.
Turk’s Coffee Bar, 1276 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC, Canada +1 604 879 4468
Abruzzo Cappuccino Bar
As if coffee, pizza and gelato is not enough to make Abruzzo Cappuccino Bar feel Italian, European football games are always on show as well. The place is busy, with many older Italian men chatting away and watching the football. Abruzzo has a very authentic Italian feel to it, from the food to the company. Drinking some coffee and enjoying a slice of pizza whilst watching the game is exactly how an afternoon at Abruzzo is best spent. If time allows it, the tiramisu is not one to miss. Most importantly, the coffee is worth it as its rich, strong, smooth, and very Italian. Watch out for: tiramisu and the coffee
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.