With showrooms all over the world, these luxury Canadian designers opted to open a slow fashion café in lieu of a traditional brick and mortar flagship.
Canadian designers Laurence Li and Chico Wang, the duo behind the bold, luxe womenswear and accessories line Laurence & Chico, have built a label on the principle of finding whimsy in everyday life. “Vancouver is a very casual city. Comfort is definitely what people here treasure the most,” says Li. “However, there are still many creative individuals that do dress up. That’s why for our line we are creating fun, chic yet comfortable pieces.”
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The latest endeavor for Laurence & Chico, which has showrooms throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia, is a café in Vancouver, where people can shop the Laurence & Chico lifestyle experience. “We knew our fashion label was going to cater to a very specific clientele and market, but wanted more people to be able to experience the Laurence & Chico culture and story,” says Li.
Li, the brand’s illustrator and muse, draws on humor and youth culture to animate drawings that define the playfulness of the label. Wang, the brand’s creative director, has had stints at McQueen, Givenchy, Miu Miu and Lane Crawford, where he developed what he calls a fusion of “street aesthetic and light-luxe craftsmanship.”
“I met Chico in NYC at our time at Parsons [in New York City],” Li says. “I used to have a diary of illustrations inspired by our daily life that Chico found one day. He was taken aback by the designs and suggested we print these illustrations on postcards. We took those printed postcards and set up a stand in Soho and sold more than $1,000 in postcards our first day selling. That was when we knew our aesthetic resonated with the market, and we then expanded into T-shirts, sweatshirts, scarves, and to what you see know as Laurence & Chico.”
This mentality represents a trend within the fashion industry for brands to connect with their customers in more holistic ways. In a world where Instagram shopping and e-commerce caters to speed and efficiency, experiential retail offers customers a chance to engage with a brand’s ethos. To give their customers a taste of the lifestyle the brand is selling along with garments and accessories, Li and Wang opened the Laurence & Chico Café in summer of 2018. “Instead of having to splurge on a dress or jacket, we wanted to offer the opportunity for people to be immersed into our world by walking into the cafe and having a $3 cup of coffee,” says Li. Developing an accessible way for customers to live the brand is key in curating an audience.
“Experiential retail gives the opportunity to introduce a lifestyle. We want to create a memorable yet different experiences for our clients,” says Li. “We do this by creating seasons just like for our runway shows, for our menus and interior design by changing it up every few months. We do not want our customers to get bored.”
Experiential retail is also a welcome antidote to fast fashion, as it creates an immersive engagement that can connect people to their possessions in a more intimate way.
Why is this important? According to a 2016 Greenpeace report, the world has doubled its production of clothing from 2000 to 2014, and much of it has become disposable. “People can buy anything with competitive pricing and fast, free shipping while they are playing on their phones,” says Li.
To cultivate an atmosphere where people can slow down, the café aims to engage the senses. The food menu and interior will change every season according to the fashion calendar (spring/summer and fall/winter). Local chefs create a custom menu, bringing the vibrancy of the Vancouver food and drink scene to the café. In addition to culinary delights, customers can shop the café’s furniture and home decor, all which has been designed by Li and Wang.
Laurence & Chico Café
833 Bute Street, Vancouver BC Canada
Café hours: Every day, 11am-11pm
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.