Eastern Canada, also referred to as Atlantic Canada, is known for its local charms, the natural beauty of its landscapes, and the friendliness of its people. There’s plenty to discover throughout the region, including a variety of lively festivals and events. Here are some of the summer festivals that you won’t want to miss while you’re in Eastern Canada.
The Charlottetown Festival
June 7 – September 22, 2018
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Charlottetown Festival has been running for over 50 years, offering live theater productions, free outdoor performances, gallery exhibitions, dining, and shopping opportunities from June to September. The festival showcases some of the finest performers, composers, playwrights, designers, choreographers, and directors from the worlds of musical theater, comedy, and drama. In 2018, the Charlottetown Festival will feature the 54th season of Anne of Green Gables – The Musical, the rock-opera Jesus Christ Superstar, and two new festival musicals: Dutch Mason and Stories from the Red Dirt Road.
Cavendish Beach Music Festival
July 6–9, 2018
Also based on idyllic Prince Edward Island, 2018’s Cavendish Beach Music Festival will take place from July 6th to the 9th. As the 10th anniversary of the festival, an extra day will be added in 2018. Headlining acts this year include superstars Shawn Mendes, Luke Bryan, Brett Eldredge, and Dallas Smith. Through the past 10 years, the festival has had over 500,000 attendees. Making this musical celebration special is the scenic beauty in the background—from the red sandy beaches and seaside cliffs to the warmest Atlantic waters north of the Carolinas.
TD Halifax Jazz Festival
July 10–15, 2018
Now celebrating its 32nd year, the 2018 TD Halifax Jazz Festival happens in mid-July. Formerly known as the Atlantic Jazz Festival, it is the oldest jazz festival and the largest summer festival that takes place in Atlantic Canada. The festivities attract up to 55,000 visitors annually. Headliners this year include Chaka Khan, Laila Biali, White Horse, and Alvvays.
Halifax Busker Festival
August 1–6, 2018
For six days in early August, the Halifax Busker Festival enlivens Halifax’s historic downtown district. Crowds of merrymakers enjoy incredible shows from the world’s top street performance artists—showcasing acrobatics, music, visual arts, comedy, fire shows, and more. Stages lie along the Halifax Waterfront, and although there is no admission fee for the festival, make sure to tip the performers after enjoying their unique talents.
July 11–15, 2018
Seafest takes place every July in the town of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, and it’s a unique celebration of life by the sea. Since 1979, locals and visitors alike have enjoyed the food, culture, and life of this coastal community. Some of the events include a lobster festival (it takes place during harvest season), the Seafest Pageant, a chowder cook-off, and a parade of lights. There are also children’s parades and art exhibitions.
Halifax Seaport Beerfest
August 10–11, 2018
The Halifax Seaport Beerfest marks the largest celebration of craft beer and cider in Atlantic Canada. Breweries representing over 110 producers gather together to sample and discuss over 300 products, with special pavilions for regions like British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec, and Ireland, in addition to local beer and cider.
July 28 – August 4, 2018
Festival Acadien takes place in the Saint Mary’s Bay region of Nova Scotia, and it’s the oldest Acadian festival in the world. Thousands of locals and visitors partake in concerts (featuring Acadian, Cajun, and Bluegrass musicians) and art exhibitions that celebrate the roots of the unique history and culture that continues to shape this maritime region. There are activities for all ages, including a lumberjack competition, a parade, a bazaar, delicious food, and more!
Newfoundland & Labrador Folk Festival
August 3–5, 2018
Billing itself as the second longest-running folk festival in Canada, the Newfoundland & Labrador Folk Festival features the diversity of Canadian and international folk arts. There are performances by some of the best and newest folk-singing talent, including Sarah Harmer, Matt Andersen, Sharon and Bram, and Kelly Russell and The Planks. Taking place in the city of St. John’s, the event is organized by the Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Arts Society.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.