Toronto’s position amid enormous lakes, provincial parks and wildlife reserves makes it the ultimate starting point for a weekend trip. Rejuvenating for even the weariest city dweller, these escapes feel a million miles away from the big city.
Algonquin Provincial Park
Immerse yourself in more than 2,934 sq mi (7,600 sq km) of dense wilderness at Algonquin Provincial Park, where 18 interpretive hiking trails wind their way between more than 1,500 lakes and immense pine forests. Have it all on your doorstep by staying at a wood cabin just 10 minutes from the East Gate entrance to the park. The town of Whitney is also close by, so you can pick up supplies, visit restaurants and rent canoes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This adventurous tour is the best way to sample as much of Algonquin as you can, without committing to an overnight camping trip. Settling off in a traditional Kevlar canoe, you will paddle up to 10mi (16km), physically exerting yourself at times but with tranquility drifting over the water at others. You’ll be taken on a hike through the pine trees to swimming spots where the brave will have the opportunity to go cliff jumping. Throughout the day, you’ll visit historic landmarks, forage for food and observe wildlife native to the area, pointed out by your experienced naturalist guides.
This waterside town – perched on the edge of Lake Ontario at the mouth of the Niagara River – feels frozen in time. With a quaint collection of 19th-century houses, brightly colored buildings and even brighter flowers, it has a charming atmosphere that’s matched by a thriving culinary scene and good wine from local vineyards.
Discover the birthplace of Ontario’s wine industry on this guided small-group tasting tour through Niagara-on-the-Lake’s surrounding wine country. Visiting both big and boutique vineyards, you’ll get a great overview of wine production in the area. Starting with a tour that takes you from the vine to the tasting room at a major winery, you’ll then move onto smaller wineries and have the opportunity to try Ontario’s famous ice wine, complete with a cheese pairing. Your expert guide will have you tasting like a connoisseur by the end of the trip.
There’s more to the Canadian capital than its political significance. With gothic parliament buildings adding a fairytale flair to its architecture, a visit during winter will make you feel like a character from Disney’s Frozen (2013). And that’s before you’ve laid eyes on Rideau Canal, frozen thick with ice and illuminated with twinkling lights to create an atmosperic ice-skating rink. Regardless of the season, however, its large leafy parks and buzzing culture make Ottawa a great year-round destination.
Experience two sides of the city on this bike tour around Ottawa. You will explore some of its lively neighborhoods, such as Centretown, the Glebe and Hintonburg, getting a sense of the local life along the way. It’s a great way to see all the major sites while also making the most of the capital’s numerous nature trails and waterways.
Gatineau Park is an outdoor playground at all times of the year. In autumn, hiking is the activity of choice, as the leaves turn fiery orange and crunch underfoot. Meanwhile, winter is all about cross-country skiing. In the summer, you can go mountain biking and cool off with a dip in one of the park’s many lakes. And no matter what season, the luxurious Nordik Spa-Nature will soothe any aching limbs and joints with its multitude of thermal pools.
Join your professional guides for a biking tour of Gatineau Park on a sportive bike. Your light aluminum or carbon bike will be expertly fitted to ensure you’re as comfortable as possible. You’ll ride either a 19mi (30km) or a 31mi (50km) loop, traveling along the river, through the trees and around the park’s lakes. As it combines exercise, nature and sightseeing, you’ll get a great guided insight into this beautiful park.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.