Converted sugar plantations with organic farms and luxury spa resorts make these the best hotels in Saint Kitts and Nevis.
Slogans on some of the taxis traversing this twin-island nation in the Caribbean explain it best – “Too blessed to be stressed.” While Saint Kitts is home to historic sites, an international airport, ancient petroglyphs and some large resorts, a short ferry ride will take you to the cloud-capped, bucolic island of Nevis, the birthplace of musical muse and American Founding Father, Alexander Hamilton. Here are the best places to stay in Saint Kitts and Nevis, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Slick enough to be the lair of a Bond villain, this art-filled former plantation claims 40ha (100 acres) of the verdant slopes of Nevis Peak, making it one of the best spots for a sundowner by the pond with views towards Antigua and Montserrat. New York artists Helen and Brice Marden have transformed the 19th-century sugar mill into one of the more eccentric rooms, while the vaulted outbuildings have become a bar and restaurant with neon and jewel-hued furniture. Explore the ponds, pool and botanical gardens. And whatever you do, order the lobster.
A break in the countryside in the foothills of Nevis Peak, with an option to head to the hotel’s own beach club, means guests at the Montpelier may have the best of both worlds. The once-crumbling 300-year-old sugar plantation has been breezily converted into 19 rooms, with the pool overlooked by the restored sugar mill. Elemis bath products are a luxury touch. Every hotel in Nevis claims to have the best rum punch – and closely guard their recipes – but the Montpelier might actually take the prize.
Pelicans diving for fish in Christophe Harbour make entertaining viewing while doing laps in the pool. The Park Hyatt is somewhat out on its own at the southern tip of Saint Kitts, but there is the lively Reggae Beach within walking distance, where the beach bars and rum shacks make a great place to lime (local speak for “hang out”). Alternatively, catch the ferry to Nevis in less than 10 minutes. All rooms face the sea and feature spa-inspired baths. Upgrade to the three-bedroom Presidential Villa for a private sundeck and rooftop infinity pool – not something you’ll find at all hotels in Saint Kitts and Nevis.
Bearing all the formal poise you’d expect from a Four Seasons, there’s plenty to do on the extensive grounds besides taking to the spa, lounging by the pool or swimming in the luminous bay. The 18-hole championship golf course and 10 tennis courts are fine; but with six on-site bars and restaurants, where’s the real sport to be had, eh? Off-resort, Sunshines, a local liming spot on Pinney’s beach, serves an infamous rum punch and according to the barman is open “until the last person leaves.”
You’ll see the Hamilton name a lot around the island. There’s even a museum in capital Charlestown dedicated to the island’s world-changing son – and Hamilton Beach resort is no exception. The water on this side of the island is mill-pond calm, so swimming is a treat, and the beach is almost always empty. But really, it’s about the amenities. Arrive from Saint Kitts on the private pier. Cook for yourself with a pre-stocked full kitchen. Swim in the 37m (121ft) pool. Visit the spa. Plus enjoy a washer, dryer and two full baths in each unit.
Not an ecohotel, but an eco-community, the mission of Belle Mont Farm is to benefit everyone. Part of Kittitian Hill, a 162ha (400-acre) former sugar plantation, the resort is surrounded by an organic farm that supplies the property, features an edible golf course, and employs local artisans to share culture through film, spoken and written word and music festivals. The mission is to allow visitors to explore the land in a new, tactile way. This extends to the luxury cottages and villas too, which are surrounded by banana plants, have daybeds on breezy wrap-around balconies and Victorian-style outdoor bathrooms with roll-top baths.
Long-serving staff impressively remember your name straight away at Nisbet’s, making you immediately feel like family. Driver Calvin runs a weekly rum bar crawl around small villages you’d never otherwise find, while former groundsman Hollywood leads a twice weekly morning walk into the hills. Rooms in semi-detached cottages are dotted around the grounds of the only historic plantation hotel in the Caribbean situated directly on the beach. Green vervet monkeys inhabit the property, along with hummingbirds, finches and the occasional local wild donkey. Dinner is served at the well-preserved main house, or there’s snacks at the beach bar.
Eco-focused and straightforward, what started as a simple beach bar in 1980, is today a 32-room retreat bordering the calm waters of Oualie Beach. Wheel your bags just a skip from the Saint Kitts ferry and you’re ready to holiday. The hotel supports local agriculture by using local vegetables, fruits, meat and fish wherever possible and growing its own fresh herbs, flowers and orchids. The resort also sponsors around 100 eye operations annually for the local community. The beach bar itself is still there, and draws a crowd to its weekly live music nights.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.