Comprising more than 700 islands, islets, reefs and cays, there is little wonder why the Caribbean is the top choice for a yacht charter each winter. From the volcanic Windward Islands of St Lucia and Dominica to the sophisticated ports of St Barts and Antigua, or the bounty paradise hideaways of the BVIs, the Caribbean offers an infinite variety of off-the-beaten-track cruising options. Here we reveal some of the best places to dock your vessel in a bid to beat the sailing crowds.
Kick back on the quieter side of the Caribbean.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hurricane Hole, St Lucia
With rugged topography, St Lucia is not your usual superyacht charter destination – which makes it a quieter option. However, it is a must-see for those with a love of hiking, snorkeling and nature. Drop anchor at Marigot Bay, lovingly known as Hurricane Hole due to its sheltered position from prevailing winds on the west of the island, jump on the tender and enjoy a cocktail or two at the aptly named Hurricane Hole bar at Marigot Bay Hotel and Marina. Once back on board, relax on the top deck and marvel at the unique lush green mountainous scenery.
Westerhall Bay, Grenada
Thanks to its production of spices, Grenada is well regarded as one of the more upmarket islands of the Caribbean. As the most southerly of the Windward Islands, this is a land of mountains and forests, a rum distillery, plus a spice, chocolate and nutmeg factory, too. Head to the south to escape the crowds and drop anchor in Westerhall Bay – this is a quieter, sheltered bay that can be a little tricky to navigate given its mangrove-lined shores. Once anchored, hop on your tender and go ashore for a rainforest tour to see the infamous mona monkeys. The long-tailed primates are thought to have caught a ride onto the island with traders during the 18th century. Now, they’re happily at home swinging from the treetops and swimming in the freshwater pools beneath the cascading waterfalls.
White Bay, British Virgin Islands
Set to the east of the British Virgin Islands, Virgin Gorda is one of the larger islands within the archipelago. Well known for its labyrinth of pools and seawater-flooded grottos, white sand beaches and upmarket resorts, this island is also one of the best spots in the region for watersports. Drop anchor in White Bay, a remote anchorage on nearby Peter Island and you can spend your day testing out both motorized and non-motorized water toys. A must-see on Virgin Gorda is the Baths. Located in the southwest, this series of saltwater grottos, pools and caves created by volcanic boulder formations make for a fantastic playground for both young and old.
Petit Tabac anchorage, Grenadines
The northern part of the Grenadines consists of 32 islands dispersed over 60mi (97km) of the Caribbean Sea, and it makes for a wonderful place to dip into secluded bays. The Tobago Cays are a series of five uninhabited islands, with a wildlife reserve and marine park offering a stunning underwater safari for swimmers of any level. If weather permits, drop your anchor in the sands of Petit Tabac and make it your base for the day. Be warned, this anchorage is small, so it can only accommodate a few yachts at a time.
Cane Garden Bay, British Virgin Islands
No tour of the Caribbean is complete without a stop at Tortola, the largest island in the BVIs. This volcanic outcrop is a mountainous paradise complete with picture-perfect bays. To escape the crowds, sail over to Cane Garden Bay. This palm-fringed, horseshoe-shaped bay offers a sheltered anchorage for all kinds of vessels. Behind the trees, a bustling, yet small, parade of shacks offers coconuts, shell necklaces and other charming Caribbean essentials.
Holandes Cay, Panama
Off the coast of Panama, and well off the well-trodden cruising route of the Caribbean, those who venture this far will be rewarded with remote anchorages, deserted beaches and friendly locals. There are approximately 365 islands in the San Blas archipelago, of which only 49 are inhabited. Holandes Cay is the furthest outcrop from the mainland and it serves up some wonderful diving and snorkeling opportunities. Drop anchor at Swimming Pool Anchorage, located between Turtle Island and Isla Benedup, and indulge in a private beach BBQ.
Christiansted, US Virgin Islands
The US Virgin Island of St Croix is a wonderful treat for the whole family – no matter your interest. Golf-lovers will be in heaven with the par 72 Carambola Golf Course at their disposal, The Wall at Cane Bay offers a real treat for divers, while the shop-lined streets of Christiansted will be pure joy for those in need of some retail therapy. After having your fill of activity, simply relax on board with a pair of binoculars as the dolphins play in the shallows of the anchorage outside Christiansted.
Friendship Bay, Bequia
A firm favorite among sailors is the small, secluded island of Bequia. With many small anchorages, you will be spoilt for choice here. Friendship Bay lies to the south of the island and while it’s one of the more popular spots, it’s well worth nudging in for the night. Not only does the bay offer crystal clear waters, much like the Indian Ocean, it’s also home to a turtle nesting site. Stay until after dusk to catch a glimpse of these majestic creatures as they come ashore to lay their eggs.
Cruise around the Caribbean.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.