Dubai Creek and its connecting waterways are one of the sprawling city’s best assets. Visitors to Dubai shouldn’t miss the chance to explore them by yacht, jet ski or traditional wooden boat.
It might be surprising given its desert location, but Dubai is a great place to get out on the water. Traditional boats ply the waters of the Gulf as well as the horseshoe-shaped Dubai Creek and its modern canal extension, completed in 2016. Here are the best boat tours to explore the natural and man-made waters of Dubai.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Boat tours with a front-row seat to Dubai’s skyline
The sky really is the limit in Dubai, home to the tallest building in the world and a whole roster of incredible architectural feats. A great way to see how all of Dubai’s skyscrapers stack up is with a clear vantage point from the water. The Yellow Boats run tours on inflatable, lifeboat-style RIB boats that take passengers from five-star views from the Dubai Marina before zipping out into the Gulf, to get an unrestricted look at the coral pink Atlantis, The Palm hotel and the city’s iconic sail-shaped Burj Al Arab. Wonder Bus Tours combine the best of land and sea by using amphibious vehicles, passing by several of the city’s markets before plunging into Dubai Creek for a swim around historic neighbourhoods and modern architecture.
Dubai’s best boat ride on a budget
Dubai has a penchant for the ultra-luxe and extravagant, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible to visit on a budget. In fact, one of the city’s must-do experiences costs just 1 AED (£0.22): crossing Dubai Creek on a wooden 10-seater boat called an abra. The route between Bur Dubai and Deira Old Souk links two important traditional markets: the Textile Souk and the historic neighbourhood of Al Fahidi on the south side of the Creek, and the Spice Souk and Gold Souk on the north. The abra journey lasts less than 10 minutes, so if you’re hoping to spend longer admiring Dubai from the water, this may not be for you – but it’s a traditional, and charming, activity. And with such a low fare, you’ll have plenty of money to spend on shopping in the souks.
Another good budget option is the Dubai Ferry; although it’s actually part of the city’s public transportation system, it is geared towards visitors and provides a brilliant experience for tourists. These modern boats motor through Dubai Canal and around Palm Jumeirah, with a stop in the mouth of Dubai Creek. Location-triggered explainer videos narrate the surrounding sights as you glide by.
Take a scenic ride through the Madinat Jumeirah
A modern take on a traditional Arab village, Madinat Jumeirah is a sandy complex of hotels, restaurants and markets linked by three kilometres of scenic walking paths and a web of waterways. Abras drift past neatly manicured gardens and offer picture-perfect views of the Burj Al Arab. Make sure to take the trip at night – the area is particularly atmospheric after dark when the gardens are aglow.
Captain your own ship on a self-drive boat tour
If you’ve already gained your sea-legs and are seeking a more DIY option, try a trip with Hero Odysea. Here, you’re in charge of your own two-seater vessel that can reach speeds of up to 50kph (30mph). There’s no need to worry about navigation, though, as you won’t be totally on your own; guides will be tracking alongside in a separate boat to point out the most notable sights visible from the sea.
Feel the adrenalin rush on a jet ski tour
If a standard boat isn’t fast enough (or adventurous enough) for your tastes, you can also tour Dubai’s rugged coastline by jet ski. Nemo Watersports runs sightseeing adventures on the back of jet skis that can reach up to 100kph (60mph). Riders whizz by monuments including the Burj Al Arab, Jumeirah Beach Residence and Atlantis, the Palm; if you’re lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of the Dubai. The third largest yacht in the world, it’s owned by ruler Sheikh Mohammed.
Live the high life on your own (rented) yacht
If you’re not content with the guided tours on offer in Dubai, you could always chart your own course and hire a yacht yourself. Xclusive Yachts offers high-end boats in eight sizes, including a craft decked out in Versace decor and a 44m (145ft) super-yacht. For a truly lavish excursion, rent out Lebanon Island, the first of the World Islands development to open, which has two beaches, a swimming pool and space to play sand volleyball.
Make a night of it with a dinner cruise
Float by the twinkling lights of the city at night with fork in hand on an evening cruise that includes dinner. Al Mansour operates an after-hours dhow, a traditional cargo boat with masts that’s been kitted out with colourful lights and even air conditioning on the lower deck. Take your pick of dishes from the expansive buffet of Emirati flavours before setting sail around Dubai Creek to the tune of a live oud – traditional music in the Emirates.
For celebrating a special occasion, the luxurious JA Bateaux Dubai is a modern, glass-enclosed vessel with just one level, and a sumptuous four-course meal is served at your table.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.