From machboos to harees, Abu Dhabi offers a range of delicious Emirati cuisine for locals and visitors alike. We count down the capital’s top picks for those interested in getting a real taste of the local culture and the flavours of the nation.
Emirati cuisine is a core feature of the local traditions and heritage. Much like the inhabitants of the nation, it reflects a mix of cultures and influences and takes inspiration from neighbouring countries such as India, Egypt, Lebanon and Jordan. The cuisine offers an insight into the history of the region; rice and pasta, for example, were introduced with the arrival of traders to the region. Furthermore, it demonstrates the natural resources and geography of the nation; for example, due to their proximity to the Arabian Gulf, much of the cuisine features seafood. Traditional dishes include maqlub, jisheid, khabeesa and balaleat.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Food is an integral part of life in the Emirates, and there is an array of international restaurants. However, as traditional local cuisine remains comparatively unknown to residents and tourists, it is important to shed light on the local eateries that offer a flashback to life in the early Emirates.
Al Fanar Restaurant and Café
Al Fanar recreates a Bedouin-style neighbourhood complete with barasti booths, mud-brick rooms and a mini souk which diners can peruse at their leisure. Choose from an array of traditional Emirati dishes, from raqaq and balalit ma khoboz wagafi to naghar nashef and jesheed. The eatery offers a taste of the times when Abu Dhabi and Dubai were small towns on the shore of the Arabian Gulf, by incorporating the same ingredients and seasonings as were used back then.
Meaning ‘Grandmother’s House’, Yadoo’s House embodies the homely comfort of family with its comfortable plush sofas and simple furnishings. Hosting a wide range of options from grilled local fish to classic Emirati mains such as harees and a variety of machboos, Yadoo’s House lays out a veritable feast. All in all, Yadoo’s House is the ultimate destination for the capital’s foodies.
Al Dhafra Dinner Cruises
Dinner on a dhow is the perfect way to celebrate Emirati cuisine and cultural traditions. Sail along the Abu Dhabi Corniche and admire the skyline while indulging in some of the best cuisine the city has to offer. With a traditional majlis set up on the upper deck and air-conditioned seating on the lower deck, Al Dhafra Dinner Cruises cater to your every comfort. Famed for its distinctive Emirati flair, the restaurant offers classic dishes such as hamour, fragrant rice and local teas.
Founded by Shaikha Al Kaabi to celebrate the culture and traditions of the nation, Meylas serves childhood recipes crafted by Emirati mothers and grandmothers and prepared using only locally sourced ingredients. With semolina cans repurposed as cutlery holders and a front door that formerly belonged in a 1970s Emirati home, Meylas offers a nostalgic look at the time of the Bedouins. The restaurant also supports local talent by displaying totes, postcards and other gift items designed by Emirati artists. There are various delicacies you can take home with you, too, from dates to mango pickles.
Located at the decadent Emirates Palace Hotel, Mezlai offer patrons a luxury setting in which to enjoy a taste of traditional Emirati cuisine. Furnished with Bedouin emblems such as Kunjah knives, dallah coffee pots and tapestries, this award-winning restaurant is reminiscent of a Bedouin tent and pays homage to the heritage of the nation. Deriving inspiration from beloved local dishes and traditional homemade recipes, the menu incorporates staples from Emirati cuisine such as zaatar, camel meat, dates, saffron and rosewater. This is the ultimate destination for those seeking an authentic taste of the UAE.
Mina Dates Market
An open-air market, the Mina Dates Market is the largest market selling dates in Abu Dhabi. Dates are sourced not only locally, but also from nearby regions such as Saudi Arabia and Oman, and are sold at very affordable prices. With a wide selection of different dates, both fresh and dried, you’ll have a hard time choosing which delicious variety to take home. A tip is to sample as many types as possible before deciding on which to purchase.
Zahrat Lebnan, which means ‘Lebanese flower’, is the ultimate destination for hummus lovers and a treasure of Abu Dhabi’s dining scene. With an authentic and traditional taste, their hummus is unlike anything you’ve tried before. They also serve a range of traditional Lebanese and Middle Eastern dishes such as fattoush salad, kebabs, mixed grills and biryani.
Serving easily the best shawarmas in the city, Shish Shawerma has been taking Abu Dhabi by storm since the opening of its first branch in 2011. A tantalising blend of freshly baked bread and traditional spices, these mouthwatering shawarmas are a great bargain at only AED 10 (£2). Diners can also experience the magic in action, courtesy of their live-cooking stations. The eatery has also expanded its menu to include other delicious options such as a variety of kaakeh (a special bread with sesame seeds), salads, crepes and more.
Zaatar w Zeit
Renowned for its fresh taste, leaving you feeling fresh and energised, Zaatar w Zeit is a Lebanese urban eatery. Incorporating a variety of traditional recipes and ingredients, the restaurant serves a range of sandwiches, wraps, salads and pizzas, to name a few. With 16 outlets in the UAE alone, it is safe to say that Zaatar w Zeit is a popular dining spot for locals, and it’s also a must-try for visitors to the country.
Another Lebanese eatery, Man’oushe Street brings you classic homemade delicacies for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Renowned for its fresh and delicious shawarmas, Man’oushe Street also offers a wide variety of other staple Lebanese dishes such as manakeesh, a’arous and kaak. To understand the true flavours of Middle Eastern cuisine, be sure to explore this venue.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.