When it comes to celebrating artworks inspired by techniques and ideas from the past 20 years, look no further than these top contemporary art galleries in Dubai.
Many of the contemporary art galleries in Dubai are clustered on Alserkal Avenue in the Al Quoz neighbourhood, an area that is famously a hub for creative types, small cafés and co-working spaces in the emirate. There’s plenty to discover in the neighbourhood and beyond.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Read on for where to find what you’re looking for in some of the best contemporary art galleries in Dubai.
This warehouse space is proud to represent contemporary local and international Middle Eastern artists. However, The Third Line also has a mission to get the world talking about art from the region through its alternative non-profit programmes. It has an entire wing that just publishes artists’ books – Works on Paper – and has a long list of talents associated with it, including Abbas Akhavan, Babak Golkar, Farah Al Qasimi, Hassan Hajjaj, Laleh Khorramian and Zineb Sedira, making it one of the top contemporary art galleries in Dubai.
Ayyam Gallery has been a big success in the region and has three outposts, including one in founding city Beirut. In Dubai, contemporary art fans are spoiled for choice, with offerings in both the Al Quoz and Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) neighbourhoods. The latter is more of an upscale area and has been managing established and emerging talents, taking them around the United States, Europe and Asia. It’s all part of their mandate to spread art far and wide, a non-profit scheme to ensure more equal representation across the industry. They also have a multilingual publishing division and a custodianship programme that manages the estates of trailblazing artists.
Situated in the elegant DIFC, this space hosts everything from graffiti artists to those who have designed pop-music album covers. Think George Morton-Clark, Blek le Rat and Keith Haring. Under the direction of Sylvian Gaillard, the Opera Gallery attracts the many businesspeople who traipse the walkways of the financial area, as well as fine diners who come to enjoy what’s on display before heading off to dinner in some of the gastronomic establishments that neighbour the gallery. When the doors close to the public each evening, they usually reopen to host private events in the prestigious setting.
Starting out as Ornina, a small gallery above a bookshop in Syria, this space has come a long way and is now one of the most respected contemporary art galleries in Dubai. It became Green Art Gallery when it moved to a villa in the Jumeirah neighbourhood in Dubai in 1995 and exhibited many talents from the region before they became well known. But it wasn’t until 2010 that Green Art Gallery decided to focus on contemporary art from across the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia. Notable artists include Turkey’s Hale Tenger and Hera Büyüktaşçıyan, Iran’s Kamrooz Aram and Nazgol Ansarinia, Palestine-born Shadi Habib Allah, Pakistan’s Seher Shah and Venezuelan Alessandro Balteo-Yazbeck.
One of the many galleries that make up the Alserkal community in the industrial area of Al Quoz, 1×1 Art Gallery has been around since 1996, and originally housed Indian contemporary art. Now it has grown into a huge warehouse space, and founder Malini Gulrajani has put much of the focus on Emirati and Middle Eastern talent. The works get an even bigger platform with the gallery’s participation in international fairs, museums and galleries, as well as collaborations with independent curators.
This gallery rounds up artists from around the globe to showcase a range of approaches to contemporary art. Their roster includes artists from Austria, Germany, US, UK and Iran. Under founding director Kourosh Nouri, Carbon 12 hosts exhibitions from another set of artists that will excite visitors with the variety of its media use. Look forward to artworks from André Butzer, Sara Rahbar and Monika Grabuschnigg in a combination of solo and collaborative exhibitions.
This gallery is all about showcasing talents from around the Middle East, giving those from the Arab world a platform to display their pieces and network on an international level. Since opening in Tunisia in 1994, Elmarsa has had a presence at events in Paris, Miami and Marrakech, and launched in Dubai in 2015. Elmarsa thrives on seeing its artists take contemporary art in an innovative direction, so prepare to be impressed by what you see from artists tackling subjects such as the impact of Mediterranean, African and Arab heritage on global issues. Abdulaziz Ashour, Emna Masmoudi and Omar Bey are some of the artists on the roster.
This venue south of the Dubai Creek is not only an art gallery, it’s also a hub for nurturing the artists of the future through its Tashkeel Critical Practice Programme. Many of the artworks on display belong to alumni who have roots in the UAE, including fabricators and graphic designers. Tashkeel hosts workshops on the likes of embroidery, etching and calligraphy, also encouraging discussion on the critique of artworks and how to decipher the meaning around art pieces. Since opening in 2008, it has become part of many art initiatives around the country and regularly participates in events in the promising Dubai Design District.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.