Expo 2020 Dubai will host a series of spectacular cultural and scientific events to inspire visitors and residents, with plenty to offer in terms of creativity and talent. Here’s everything you need to know about the upcoming event.
Expo 2020 Dubai kicks off October 20, 2020 and runs until April 10, 2021. Coinciding with the UAE’s 50th anniversary, it will be open from 10am to 1am on weekdays and until 2am on weekends.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is big news for UAE Vision 2021, a government agenda that aims to place the UAE ‘among the best countries in the world’, and is expected to boost tourism, develop homegrown businesses and contribute to the good reputation of Dubai internationally, including with the world’s governments. Italy, the United Kingdom, Indonesia, France, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Slovenia, Luxembourg, Greece, Tunisia, Kazakhstan, Chile, Nigeria, Germany and Ireland are just some of the countries taking part.
‘Expo will leave a lasting impact as an economic driver, including stimulating new investment and jobs, and by showing that the UAE is on a path towards an economy based on human potential and a welcoming, dynamic hub for innovation, collaboration and aspiration,’ Marjan Faraidooni, Senior Vice President for Legacy and Development at Expo 2020 Dubai, told us.
How was the Expo 2020 granted to Dubai?
In November 2013, the Bureau International des Exposition’s 167 members voted in Paris that Dubai should win the bid over the likes of São Paulo in Brazil, Izmir in Turkey and Ekaterinburg in Russia.
The World Expo takes place every five years and lasts for six months, aiming to showcase the best innovations from around the world in one major city. It started in 1851 in London, and while it has taken place in Shanghai, Milan and various other cities, some of them multiple times, it’s especially significant for Dubai.
‘Expo 2020 Dubai is the first World Expo in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia (MEASA) region, making it an unprecedented opportunity to showcase the talents of our people and our progressive, modern society,’ Faraidooni continued.
What is Expo 2020 Dubai about?
The theme is ‘Connecting Minds, Creating the Future’ and it’s expected to be a breeding ground for some of the most innovative ideas from around the planet. In the past, it has seen the unveiling of the likes of the Eiffel Tower, the first typewriter, televisions and even Heinz Tomato Ketchup. So you can expect it to be the platform for some iconic brand launches, and for the next stage of Dubai’s global popularity.
The Dubai Expo’s official logo was inspired by a gold ring found at the Saroug Al Hadeed archaeological site, and symbolises the connection between the East and West that Dubai represents. Some 70% of the visitors are expected to be from outside of the country, the highest proportion in the Expo’s history.
Official sponsors include UPS, PepsiCo, Etisalat, Emirates Airline and Nissan.
The Expo 2020 Dubai pavilions
Al Wasl Plaza dome and its two surrounding buildings will be a space for the 180 countries taking part to host cultural events; with al wasl meaning ‘connection’, it’s an apt name. Each country will have a pavilion at the gate of the 4.38-square kilometre (1.69-square mile) site, but less than half of the space is to be taken up by pavilions. The rest will be dedicated to amenities such as staff accommodation, hotels, transport links, retail areas and even a public park in the village. A whopping 30,000 volunteers will be working at the events and acting as the face of Dubai.
Sub-themes for Expo 2020 Dubai come in the form of three pavilions:
‘Opportunity’ aims to ‘unlock the potential for individuals and communities to shape the future’.
‘Mobility’ is about creating a ‘smarter and more productive movement of people, goods and ideas, both physically and virtually’.
‘Sustainability’ is due to be completed in October 2019; this pavilion aims to show how buildings can be self-sustainable in water. Using solar energy and water from the air, in fact, at least half of the Expo 2020 site will be powered by sustainable energy. This pavilion focusses on building a sustainable future for everyone.
Within the sub-themed pavilions will be entertainment spaces, art installations, gardens and various flavours to sample from around the world.
‘Expo 2020 Dubai will bring together 180 countries and millions of people to celebrate human ingenuity,’ Faraidooni added. ‘There will be something for everyone, from discovering new innovations and our future potential to exploring cultures from around the world and enjoying dozens of daily performances, unique food experiences and music, not to mention the awe-inspiring architecture.’
There are plans for 80% of the infrastructure built to be reused after the event, and Siemens AG have already announced that its new global logistics headquarters will be located here.
How to get to Expo 2020 Dubai
The main site is in Dubai South district, near Al Maktoum International Airport, although developments are being made to ensure those landing at Dubai International Airport, Abu Dhabi International Airport and Abu Dhabi Cruise Terminals can also get there easily.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.