The Al Maktoum family, the royal and ruling family of Dubai, is led by His Royal Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, ruler of Dubai. Although he and his royal family remain hugely popular and loved by the residents of both Dubai and the UAE, many people outside of the country know little about this royal family besides the fact that they are extremely rich. How did they come to power and how are they so popular?
The Al Maktoum family are descendants of the Bani Yas tribe of the area of what is now the UAE, who were the most powerful and strategic of the familial tribes of ancient Arabia. In 1833, around 800 members of the Al Maktoum family branched away from the main Bani Yas family and took over the Emirate or region of Dubai, establishing themselves as the ruling family of this area. Without any opposition, the Al Maktoum family has ruled Dubai ever since and has now established themselves as the royal family with the titles of Sheikh, roughly translating as “king” in this case. The Sheikh of Dubai now also serves as the Vice President of the UAE, while also serving as the de facto Prime Minister and Defense Minister.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The current ruler of Dubai, His Royal Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, was born in 1949 and took over as ruler of Dubai after the death of his older brother in 2006. This makes him the 13th official Sheikh of the Emirate of Dubai. Remaining highly popular among residents and locals alike, he has managed to build Dubai into the world recognized superpower it is today, while also investing in infrastructure, schools, charities and international events to bring even more expats and immigrants to Dubai. His family is also highly popular, mostly thanks in part to his dashing (and single) oldest son, Crown Prince Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum, known lovingly as Fazza by his fans, which is the name he uses on his Instagram account and when he publishes his popular love poetry to the public.
The Ruler of Dubai’s other children are younger, however, they still remain popular thanks to the Sheikh’s hugely followed Instagram account. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum is married to three wives, which accounts to why he does, in fact, have so many children, with his most recent wife being the daughter of the King of Jordan, Princess Haya bint Hussein. A graduate of Oxford University, an accomplished equestrian and a lover of fashion, she remains one of the Sheikh’s most followed family members on social media.
The ruling family of Dubai remains ever popular thanks to their unusual method of keeping a personal connection with the residents of the city through social media and by regularly showing up to events and restaurants. They are even seen walking in public or driving around downtown Dubai. Although extremely wealthy, they manage to remain humble in the eyes of their subjects and are devoted to public issues in both Dubai and in the UAE. With the growth of the city and of social media, many remained glued to the royal family to see what new era both the current Sheikh and his young son Prince Hamdan will bring to the unique city of Dubai, and to the world.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.