Although Dubai is international enough to have plenty of holiday-related activities and lunches to go to during the winter, it still doesn’t feel the same driving down Sheikh Zayed Road with the hot desert air in your face as you listen to Christmas songs. While you may miss a wintery Christmas there are some surprisingly good things about experiencing the holidays in Dubai — so here are the top 10 things expats experience while in Dubai during Christmas:
Decorating your home with extra Christmas flair to compensate for the lack of snow outside
From covering doors and windows with fake snow to blinding the neighbors with Christmas lights, the lack of winter and snow outside will be compensated with extra holiday cheer inside the house. This does make for a really festive atmosphere for inviting guests or friends over for the holidays!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Forcing yourself to enjoy a hot cup of cocoa during a blistering hot evening in Dubai (because its Christmas, no matter what the temperature says)
Nothing says the Christmas holidays like the perfect cup of hot cocoa… even if you end up overheating while drinking it because of the desert heat of Dubai. Most expats who celebrate Christmas in Dubai would rather sweat it out a little than give up enjoying cocoa in the evenings (although most of us have given up the idea of trying to cozy up next to the fireplace).
Seeing all the beautiful Christmas trees in the malls
While some cities around the world get a little too crazy with the Christmas decorations, the city of Dubai doesn’t have that many around the city. That being said however, there are truly beautiful Christmas tree decorations in the malls and in hotels that are an exciting surprise that everyone can truly appreciate.
Blasting Christmas songs in the car while hiking up the AC to pretend it is winter
You either love them or you hate them — but almost all of us in Dubai have blasted out Christmas songs in the car on the way to work to get in the holiday spirit. Turning up the AC to feel a little “winter” chill while you listen to the music is also something we’ve all probably secretly done.
Going to the beach for Christmas (and its surprisingly really nice)
Because most of us can’t keep pretending we’re in a winter fantasy-land, most expats will eventually head to Dubai’s beautiful beaches during the Christmas holidays, and truly enjoy it! Basking in the hot sun while cooling off in the clear waters of the sea; this is something truly unique and special for the holiday season.
Feeling a little bit smug when friends are jealous of your “tropical Christmas”
For those stuck in dreary cold cities for winter, seeing others enjoying Christmas in a tropical heaven can seem like they are on the perfect vacation. Homesickness feels a little bit better when most of our friends back home are jealous of our sunny pictures on the beach in December.
Going Christmas gift shopping has never been more fun
Dubai really is a shopping dream — the biggest mall in the world is in downtown Dubai and is a perfect location for Christmas shopping. From every single brand-name shop to unique boutique stores, from delicious international chocolatiers to local sweets and dates; you’ll have a hard time choosing what to get for Christmas gifts!
Enjoying the wide variety of churches for Christmas Eve and Day
Although the UAE is an Islamic country Dubai does have numerous churches for almost every single Christian denomination. From Russian Orthodox Churches to the international Baptist Church, from a glorious Catholic Church in downtown Dubai to the gospel singing Winners Chapel; there is a place of worship for everyone to celebrate Christmas.
Getting pleasantly surprised at all the Christmas-related activities in Dubai
For those who expect absolutely no Christmas fun after moving to the Arabian Peninsula, most are pleasantly surprised at all the Christmas fun one can actually have in Dubai. From visiting the Dubai Opera for holiday orchestras to playing in the snow at Ski Dubai, there is indeed plenty to do for those who want to have a festive holiday.
Learning about the diverse Christmas traditions from around the world
With so many expats from all over the world living in one place, it is exciting to learn about the diverse array of different Christmas traditions and Christian denominations. With some Christians even celebrating Christmas in January, you’ll be able to attend different churches, services, and celebrations and enjoy an even longer Christmas season!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.