Sharjah is one of those quiet gems in the UAE that tourists don’t often know about—until they do, and then it usually becomes their favorite, even over the more popular Dubai. From cultural heritage museums to an enormous souq, Sharjah has just about everything you need to fully experience the United Arab Emirates. Here are 10 reasons why you have to visit this colorful city.
It’s not overcrowded with tourists
Unlike Dubai, Sharjah is usually not overrun with tourists or tour groups, and you’ll be able to enjoy the feel of an authentic UAE city. You might be stuck in crowds of locals during events or at the corniche on the weekends, but at least this way you’ll be able to do some amazing people-watching.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Buhaira Corniche is perfect for a relaxing walk next to the water, people-watching, and enjoying some of the best cafés in the city. The Al Majaz Fountain, alongside the waterfront, is one of the main attractions of the area; the colorful fountain shoots water 100 meters (328 feet) in the air in rhythm with the music that plays every 30 minutes in the evenings. This spot is where families go to relax, couples go on a date night, and children go and run around; it is a perfect place for a relaxing dinner and night out.
Sharjah has the best Arabic desserts
Sharjah really does have the best desserts, and almost every main road has a variety of Arabic sweet shops. Stop in anywhere for the king of all Arabic desserts, the kunafa, which is a layered cake of sweet cheese, crispy breaded pastry, and pistachios, with honey or rose syrup drizzled on top. If you live in or are visiting Dubai, this alone is worth traveling to Sharjah.
Al Mamzar Beach and Park
A destination that actually connects Sharjah and Dubai, Al Mamzar is both a beach and a park for the residents of Sharjah. Relax on the sandy shores for some sun; have a barbeque, or just people-watch the many families, workers on break, or exercising expats for an entertaining afternoon out. For those who want to unwind among the trees and green grass, Mamzar Park is also a green escape from the city.
The Blue Souq is the most vibrant place in Sharjah to get all of your UAE gifts and souvenirs, and you’ll be tempted by almost everything you see. From exotic Arabian oil perfumes and colorfully painted bowls and plates to camel keychains and lush red carpets, you’ll be in souq heaven! This colorful souq is visible from anywhere in central Sharjah because of its bright blue tiles on the outside, and stepping inside will provide an even more lively experience.
Blue Souq/Central Souq, King Faisal Road, Sharjah, UAE, +971 6 562 3333
You can pull over on the side of the road and have a barbeque in the desert
Sharjah is relatively small, and if you simply drive 10 minutes out from the city, you’ll be in the Arabian desert. Many people, however, use this fact as an opportunity to enjoy themselves on the weekend by having a barbeque with friends or family on the desert sand. You’ll see many people pulled over on the side of the road, with a large blanket or event tent set up within a five-minute walk into the rolling sand dunes, where they’ll be having a barbeque or picnic. The evenings are the busiest, and some areas of the desert are more popular than others, with people having to arrive early to catch a spot in the sand.
Enjoy drinking karak tea from your car overlooking the desert
Another way to enjoy the desert of Sharjah is to grab karak, a milky and spiced tea sold in little paper cups for only one dirham, and relax in your car while staring out at the endless desert. During the weekend, many friends will sit in the car and enjoy conversations and karak tea, and many families will do this as a quick break when traveling back from somewhere. This activity is the best way to enjoy Sharjah for its simplicity and raw beauty.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.