Although more famed for Formula One than its nightlife, Abu Dhabi has recently opened a number of great drinking venues. From rooftop lounges to quirky independent spots brimming with Middle Eastern charm, we list the best bars for a relaxed drink here.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Hemingway’s, one of Abu Dhabi’s most popular bars, sits a short ten minute walk from the city center. A Tex-Mex style pub with a warm and relaxed atmosphere, this is a popular spot for anyone looking for good food, great beer, and a range of sporting channels. Built in the 1980s, the venue recently underwent a modern refurbishment, equipping the interior with chic modern lighting and state of the art decor. A top food choice here are the delicious fajitas; try either the shrimp or the chicken and beef variety. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, and are skilled in offering expert advice on what to do around the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’re searching for a trendy open-air lounge in which to enjoy cocktails and good views, then Relax@12 is where you want to be. On a clear night here you can see for miles around, allowing visitors to bask in the beauty of the surrounding city. The oriental tapas is delicious, particularly the crispy duck crepes and drink specials are advertised daily from 5-7pm. With a convenient location in the National Exhibition Center, this is great choice for travelers looking to escape the heat of central Abu Dhabi.
La Cava Wine Bar
One of the best wine bars Abu Dhabi, a visit to La Cava offers customers a wealth of wine and whiskey options in a lavishly decorated setting. Located within one of the highest rated hotels in the city, Rosewood Abu Dhabi, the bar is characterized by quirky furniture pieces which include a chandelier made from 400kg of silver, and a long table carved from a single 200-year-old tree. A sampling of the extensive wine selection here is a must, a top pick being the Alsacian favorite Gerwürztraminer- Hugel et Fils 2011. Each Wednesday of the month La Cava’s head sommelier holds expert wine tasting sessions for 150 AED for those who want to know more about the vintages.
Located in the Grand Millennium Al Wahda hotel, Porter’s Pub is a celebration of everything British, from the ales on offer, to the UK sports channels, to the quaint decor incorporating a London telephone box. Popular among the ex-pat community, this venue boasts a lively atmosphere, and the menu is renowned for its tasty dishes. The Flinstone burger is a particularly popular choice, be warned however that the portion sizes are not for the faint-hearted, so be sure to bring an eager appetite with you.
Cabana9 at the Saadiyat Beach Club
A step into Cabana9 transports the traveller from the bustle of Abu Dhabi to the serenity of the French Riviera. Formally known as the Monte Carlo Beach Club, this private beach and pool venue is a favorite among locals looking to get away from the heat of the city. If time allows, purchase a weekend pass here, allowing entry to the beach and pool during the day and Cabana9 bar at night. The bar’s diverse wine collection is inspired by the French and Italian Rivieras; fill your glass with one of the specialty vintages from the Levant and watch the glorious sunset.
Breeze Poolside Bar
Breeze at the hotel Dusit Thani sits beside a picturesque pool on the 23rd floor of the complex, itself continually voted one of the best places to stay in the city. Offering a selection of cocktails as well as fresh juices and smoothies, the bar also gives you the the option to order additional vitamin boosters with your beverage. They might boost your health but they won’t stop your hangover.
Cristal Champagne and Cigar Bar
The charming Cristal Champagne and Cigar Bar is pure Old Hollywood, with its glamorous decor, old-fashioned cocktails, and a jazz pianist. The bar also hosts innovative themed evenings, with Wednesday Wine and Dine being particularly popular; tasty cured and smoked meats paired with a wine of the diner’s choice.
The Jazz and Fizz Bar
The Jazz and Fizz Bar is an unmissable late night experience in Abu Dhabi, offering great service, exquisite decor, and first-rate cocktails. The Espresso Martini available here is divine, and if you’re feeling particularly indulgent, one of the bar’s High Fashion Signature Cocktails costs from 90- 200 AED, but is worth every penny. Another popular option is the Gold Sour, which blends Johnnie Walker Gold Reserve, lemon juice, honey and real flakes of gold. Nightly live music, DJs and themed evenings such as Stiletto night and Men’s Night never fail to draw in the crowds. Dress to impress when visiting; there’s a strict dress code.
It’s easy to see why Ray’s Bar is one of the most popular drinking spots in Abu Dhabi. With a 62nd floor location, the elevated site allows customers to soak in the views whilst sampling specialty Asian tapas; top picks include the Robata, a selection of teriyaki glazed chicken and beef rolls. Treat yourself to a glass of pink champagne to wash it down.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.