Qatar is a dry state, in which public drinking is banned. But despite tight controls, the capital is home to a lot of bars inside its many hotels. Here are some of the best. Just remember: be respectful of local culture and abide by the rules.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Right in the heart of Downtown Doha, at the W Doha Hotel & Residences in West Bay, Wahm Lounge is a cosy, dimly lit, sophisticated venue done out in style with brightly coloured velvet furniture. Outside, the whitewashed, minimalist seating area fringes a sparkling pool, so you can enjoy your drink with a waterfall centrepiece roaring in the background. There’s an extensive drinks list and a reasonably priced dinner menu comprising salads, sandwiches or sharing boards. Or why not do like the locals do and enjoy a shisha after dinner? Wahm Lounge hosts different events, too, so you can enjoy anything from Latin to ladies’ nights – and you wouldn’t want to miss happy hour.
JW Marriott Marquis City Centre Doha
This European-themed lounge bar, in the JW Marriott Marquis City Centre Doha, offers live music nightly from Wednesday to Saturday. It’s a classy venue, offering guests a place to relax and enjoy a wide choice of cocktails, spirits and wines – which makes it the perfect place for an aperitif or nightcap. The piano bar has a smoke-free lounge with a relaxed atmosphere, where you can unwind at happy hour or enjoy a quiet after-work drink.
This laid-back rooftop bar, with stunning views of the West Bay skyline and the Arabian Gulf, is one of Doha’s finest. Enjoy a cooling pre-dinner cocktail on the terrace at sunset, or dance the night away at the indoor nightclub, which attracts top international DJs. Pure serves classic drinks, bar bites and Big Boys, 3-litre (100 fl oz) – and up – bottles of champagne, vodka or whisky. Happy hour is between 6pm and 9pm. Don’t miss the weekend, when the whole place transforms into a huge rooftop party, with pulsing beats and hundreds of revellers.
Sky View is a bar like no other: with its swanky interior, decorated with chandeliers and comfy lounge areas. The carved wooden wave ceiling glides around a circular island bar, which flows out onto an impressive rooftop terrace. Booths are available to sit and enjoy the amazing views of the Doha skyline. It’s famous for its margaritas and weekend themed events such as Flashback Friday.
Marriott Marquis City Centre Doha Hotel
This award-winning sports bar, at the Marriott Marquis City Centre Doha Hotel, boasts 47 televisions so you’re guaranteed a good view. It shows some of the most popular sports from around the world, with two large screens used for big matches. Done out like a 1950s American diner, it serves quirky drinks such as the Beer Giraffe – a 3-litre (100 fl oz) beer tower. If you’re hungry, try the Champions Sampler – a huge plate of chicken wings, cheeseburger sliders, fries and a stack of onion rings. The second Monday of every month is quiz night, where you have the chance to win QAR3,000 (£670).
St Regis Hotel
With a Caribbean-inspired pool bar and private beach, with beautiful views of the Gulf, the St Regis Hotel hosts the ultimate beach party in Doha. The Oyster Bay and Bar provides the perfect beach escape, with busy staff bringing drinks and snacks straight to your sunbed. Pay for a table or pull up a sunbed for free and make the most of the setting from 9am until sunset. The eclectic menu take its inspiration from around the globe, with anything from patatas bravas (golden russet potatoes with beef, chorizo and garlic mayo) to Vietnamese vegetarian summer rolls on offer.
Society Lounge, Hilton Doha, Diplomatic Street
A hip rooftop bar turned nightclub, Society Lounge, at the Hilton Doha in West Bay, offers dazzling views across the city. The elevated DJ booth puts music at the heart of the place, while purple lighting sets the mood. There are DJs every night of the week, with happy hour every night but Saturday. Great for large groups, the lounge also offers hookah pipes, or shishas. The diverse menu of beers, wines and spirits should please everyone.
W Hotel & Residences
Another entry for the W Hotel & Residences in Downtown Doha, the upscale Crystal is one of the hottest nightclubs in town. Lasers light up the bar as you enjoy champagne buckets sparkling with indoor flares. The feel-good playlist brings the sleek lounge to life, and you can make shapes on the dancefloor under the elegant Baccarat crystal chandelier. The bar staff have a lot of fun with the various cocktails on offer, and this is the place to come for what is reputed to be the best champagne in town.
Monkey Tale, a beach-side lounge on the edge of The Pearl-Qatar, overlooking the Gulf, serves cocktails and drinks from day to night. Sweet-smelling shisha smoke billows from the thatched tiki-style bar. Here you can lounge in your private cabana, take a dip in the sea or play on the sea swing. DJs blast out the latest tunes on weekends, and girls, you’ll get three complimentary drinks on Saturdays for what’s dubbed Beauty and the Beach day. It’s the oldest trick in the book to draw you in, but it works!
La Vista 55
Stepping into La Vista 55 makes you feel like you’re in Havana. This bright, bold funky hangout, high up on the 55th floor of the InterContinental Doha The City, is Cuban style – bright, bold and funky, with colourful murals and cool street art, while the bar is lit with neon lights. Cuban cigars and tapas are on offer, and a live band provides a suitably Cuban atmos. Show off your best dance moves between 5pm and 2am, and celebrate a good day with happy hour till 8pm every evening.
This article is an updated version of a story created by Rachel Morris.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.