A thriving port city with a no-skyscraper policy and a trading history stretching back centuries, Muscat retains heart and soul as the capital of Oman. With a rich heritage, dramatic mountain scenery, picturesque beaches, and golden desert landscape, Muscat is a must-visit destination, even if just for a few days. To get a true taste of Omani culture, a boutique hotel is a good place to start. Read on to discover the best boutique hotels in Muscat, bookable with Culture Trip.
Boutique on a big scale with 195 rooms, this modern property sits within Al Mouj, a thriving waterfront community. Entry-level deluxe rooms are stylish and contemporary with ample space to play with. Bathrooms include rain showers, the beds are plush and there are floor-to-ceiling windows so that the magnificent sea views take centre stage. Green spaces and quiet walkways surround the property and Oman’s only homegrown golf club is close by for those who fancy a round.
This design-centric hotel is made up of low-rise, Omani-style white houses set amid 21 acres (8.4ha) of sublime gardens lined with date palms. Rooms boast great views of the sea and the Al Hajar Mountains. On the amenity side of things, this resort has a tennis court, a swish gym, an incredible 13-suite Asian-style spa, a private beach, and three swimming pools – one of which happens to be 103m (338ft) long. Fun fact: the paving stones forming the outdoor paths are deliberately spaced out so you slow down your walking pace.
Nestled within the Al Hajar Mountain next to the private Al Jissah bay overlooking the sparkling Arabian Sea, the Muscat Hills Resort boasts a top-notch location. Not only this, the hotel serves up five-star service and crisp Ibiza-esque interiors. You’ll find a dive centre for daytime fun and a chic beach club with rustic-style beach huts for chilled out sunsets. Sip a cocktail and order the traditional Spanish paella made using fresh Omani seafood.
Mediterranean chic meets Omani charm at this hip hotel in Muscat. The interior design was masterminded by Italian designer Alfredo Freda and each room has a unique colour scheme. All boast dreamy king-size beds and private balconies overlooking the Arabian Sea and Jebel Sifah Marina. To further the chilled-out mood, the hotel has a pool and seductive outdoor jacuzzi. For those who fancy a little more activity, the property sits within the Jebel Sifah Resort, with access to its nine-hole golf course.
Ready yourself for a once-in-a-lifetime experience discovering the Arabian Desert at Magic Camps. This unique offering includes a collection of secluded luxury tents surrounded by photogenic golden dunes. Each tent is spacious and decked out with Bedouin-style linens, plush mattresses, Berber-style textiles and flickering lanterns. Enjoy camel rides and dune surfing by day, while festive banquets are a feast for the senses come nightfall. The stargazing at this spot is also a prime reason to book.
This is an updated version of an article originally written by Gehad Medhat.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.