Lebanon is a small Mediterranean country, but its size doesn’t reflect the depth of its history. Lebanon has seen many peoples and civilizations, much war and strife. The Lebanese have come out stronger and continue to love their country. Here are 12 reasons why you should too.
The Lebanese people are resilient and worldly, and offer a hospitality like no other. Lebanese people will invite you into their homes and insist you stay for coffee! They are famous for knowing how have a good time, no matter what the situation. We are defined by an easy-going attitude and an acceptance necessitated by our history. Don’t hesitate to talk to locals during your visit, as more often than not they will help you.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Lebanon is home to many different sects and nationalities, and despite the history of conflict, the majority of Lebanese still believe in their capability for peaceful living and acceptance. The people all have different interests, from religious groups to those concerned with alternative beauty, and all are truly free to express their identity.
The Lebanese can party like no other. From small family get-togethers to nightclubs and concerts, no one has a good time like the Lebanese. You just have to know where to look to find these once in a lifetime experiences. Places like Iris, Yukunkun and The Garten are only some of the places to have a good time. When you visit Lebanon, look out for the culture of happiness hidden under all the stress.
Yukunkun: Mar Antonios, Beirut, +961 71 861 874
The Garten: Beirut International Exhibition & Leisure Center, Beirut, +961 76 363 662
Lebanon is definitely one of the world’s most historical places, as its history predates written records. The area that became Lebanon was occupied by the Phoenicians between 300 and 800 BCE, and this trend of occupation continued for centuries, which makes for a fascinating visual history. Recent archaeological finds show that Lebanon still has many historical treasures to be discovered. Some places worth seeing are the Roman Ruins in Baalbek and Old Souks in Jbeil.
Lebanon is known for its big achievements in the regional music scene, as many world famous Arabic music artists hail from this country. Today, music in Lebanon is becoming more international, and many singers use English lyrics to widen their audience. Some famous bands are Mashrou’ Leila and Who Killed Bruce Lee. Make sure to seek out those small bands playing in pubs, as you never know how famous their music will become!
Film is another art form the Lebanese are known for. Many local directors participate in international festivals and contests. Nadine Labaki with Where Do We Go Now? and Muriel Abouross with Stray Bullet are just a couple the many award-winning Lebanese directors. This culture is alive in Lebanon because the people feel the need to spread their stories to the world. Lebanon is full of people with stories yet to be discovered and local directors are making sure they get heard.
Lebanon is currently experiencing a rise in all things culture. From poetry to painting, there are circles for everyone to join. With globalization, the intellectual scene in the country is getting stronger. Ali Cherri and Jalal Toufic are two contemporary artists dominating the scene in Lebanon. The country’s history of war and ever-changing culture makes for an interesting aesthetic.
Lebanese food is known all over the world: tabbouleh, kefta and kebbeh are famous dishes. This food never quite tastes the same anywhere else, so pack your bags and come to Lebanon to try the real deal. Try Abu Naim in Hamra Street or Mayrig Downtown. Better yet, just walk around and pick a spot, to experience some of the best cuisine in the world.
Mayrig Restaurant, Pasteur Street, Beirut, +961 01 572 121
Lebanon is a small country with a relatively small pool of tourist activities. This increases the likelihood of non-touristic experiences that you can discover or even create! Things like abandoned building adventures and story-telling nights are a thing here. Try Escape the Room or join Cliffhangers for one of their storytelling nights.
The country is definitely one of, if not the, major fashion capital of the region. Designers like Elie Saab, Reem Acra and Zuhair Murad all started their careers in Beirut. The people are definitely fashion conscious in Lebanon, and the country continuously produces designers that reach global fame.
You won’t find brutal honesty and self-awareness like Lebanon’s anywhere else! The Lebanese know that their country is relatively behind on development, and acknowledge that fact. There is no shortage of literature reflecting the Lebanese tendency to critique themselves. The people resort to humor to lessen the edge of their reality. Try to read The Dictator, an absurdist play by Issam Mahfouz, or De Niro’s Game, a novel by Rawi Hage.
Brutal honesty goes hand-in-hand with humor. Famous comedians like Nemr Abou Nassar find that jokes are a sure-fire way to get Lebanese voices heard. This is an attitude shared by the population in general. You’re unlikely to find such a rowdy, loud and funny group of people anywhere else in the world.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.