If you’re looking for a complete adventure in one city, from historical to contemporary activities, Beirut is for you. Immerse yourself in the unique vibes that this metropolis has to offer, its resilience pervading every street. Here is your guide to spending 48 hours in the capital of Lebanon.
Head to Downtown Beirut
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
From Roman ruins to upscale shops, Downtown Beirut has it all. Visit mosques, churches, and landmarks, all while partaking in a unique shopping experience. Walk through the shopping mecca Beirut Souks for brands that range from Adidas to Jimmy Choo. Don’t forget to grab some snacks at different shops for that boost of energy you’ll need for the rest of the day. While you’ll never get enough of the glamorous vibe that this outdoor mall has to offer, you’ll have to move on because there is so much more to see.
Beirut Souks, Beirut, Lebanon, +961 1 957 000
Visit the National Museum of Beirut
Once you have had your fill of shopping, it’s time for a dose of history, and the National Museum of Beirut fits the bill. From prehistoric relics to early Islamic marvels, this museum has a diverse collection and offers you the metanarrative of walking through history while searching for it. The building itself is a testament to Lebanon’s history as it has stood strong since 1919, withstanding war and strife to become what it is today. Keep your energy high as there is more history to see.
National Museum of Beirut, Museum Street, Beirut, Lebanon, +961 1 426 703
Stroll down Hamra
Hamra is perhaps one of the most fascinating places in Beirut. It’s a curious mix of old cosmopolitan spirit and progressive modernity. Marvel at the bustling activity the street has to offer, where you’ll see locals and tourists alike. Sit in the coffee shops between students and professors as the area is rich in well-known universities such as the American University of Beirut (AUB). Who knows? You might also walk in the middle of a street festival in the fall.
Have lunch on Bliss Street
Nothing defines Hamra like Bliss Street, as it is rife with many historical buildings. Grab lunch among the locals, and due to the presence of the AUB, visit all the shops that define the students’ lives. If you’re a photographer or just a city aficionado, you’ll surely find what you’re looking for on this street.
Enjoy a drink on Uruguay Street
What better way to end the day than to sit back and grab a drink at a cozy pub? If that sounds good, then Uruguay Street is for you. The constant city vibe and the relaxing atmosphere are sure to have you appreciating the day in Beirut even more. As a street in Downtown Beirut, it’s not far off from the theme of the day.
Have breakfast in Raouche
Another upscale district in Beirut, you’re sure to enjoy your breakfast on Raouche. Marvel at the Mediterranean Sea and the Raouche Rocks; you’re in a place the holds a lot of history. Some excavations in Raouche have helped in unearthing some of the oldest evidence of human existence – surely another example of Beirut’s unique relationship with history and modernity.
Shop for antiques in “Souq el Ahad”
Don’t forget to pass by the local flea market as you never know what you might find. The Sunday Market, or “Souq el Ahad,” is a great place for you to discover cheap merchandise, and the local merchants will welcome you and give you an authentic Lebanese experience.
Have an adventure around abandoned buildings
Forget hiking – this is a new trend in Beirut that speaks to one’s inner cosmopolitan. More and more, people in the city are visiting abandoned buildings in hopes of uncovering their stories and maybe finding some artifacts. This activity is one of the ways the city turns the tragedy of war into a fascinating tale. So find yourself a building and marvel, but make sure to be safe and be aware of the building’s age.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.