Modern Kuwait is host to high-end malls and markets where people flock to spend their leisure time shopping, or to enjoy the different cuisines available from the various in-house cafés. The traditional Souk Al- Mubarakiya, however, a location steadfastly rooted in the past, still remains a relevant market for both locals and tourists.
What is Souk Al- Mubarakiya?
Souk Al- Mubarakiya in Kuwait City is one of the oldest souks in Kuwait. Positioned between Abdullah Al-Mubarak, Abdullah Al-Salem and Palestine Streets, the Souk was the centre of trade prior to the discovery of oil, and it retains an unmistakable charm that preserves Kuwait’s past beautifully. Reflecting the country’s rich heritage and culture, the stalls boast everything from herbs, spices and apothecary goods to clothes and accessories.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Enjoy The Markets
Explore the markets and enjoy various sights, sounds and smells, transporting you back to ancient Kuwait, where life was simpler. Over 200 years ago, a marketplace was created in the Al- Mubarakiya area as a platform for vendors to showcase their produce in a non-commercial setting. The market soon became a cultural hub, catering to the needs of every visitor, whether for the weekly grocery shop or an outing with friends.
With Sheikh Mubarak Al Kabeer’s Kiosk – a small garden pavilion – in the middle of it all, people were given direct access to their leader in order to voice their wishes and concerns. Soon afterwards, a diwaniya (reception hall for business discussions) was set up, dubbed The Founding Fathers’ commune. To this day, the diwaniya is a place for the country’s elders to meet and discuss everything from social issues to the coming elections.
Following the Iraqi invasion of 1990, the infrastructure of the Souk was heavily damaged, and necessary renovations were made. The renovations retain the traditional elements characteristic of the commercial trade centre, while also injecting the marketplace with a hint of modernity in the form of light displays and play areas for children. Given the warm summers in Kuwait, the Souk was originally planned and built to provide visitors with plenty of shaded areas.
South Mubarakiya (SOMU) is Souk Al- Mubarakiya’s new ‘old’ district, marked by the previously renovated SOMU Square or Thouq Square. Located behind the Al Fares Mosque, SOMU was fashioned from the rubble and abandoned shops in the area, thanks to the vision of Ahmad Al-Ghanim and Bader Al Hejailan whose goal was to breathe new life into the area. Concept store Thouq is a manifestation of all the pair believe in; the space is a hub of artistic expression, dedicated to showcasing talent from Kuwait and the wider region with new items and fresh concepts arriving each week. Despite what people thought, Al- Mubarakiya has now become a thriving hub for arts, culture and fashion. While here, don’t miss out on the opportunity to see the Gulf’s biggest mural located in the heart of SOMU. Created by the Thouq team as a tribute to Kuwait, the mural stretches across two perpendicular walls.
Treat yourself to delicious meals at some of Thouq’s best restaurants and cafés. Most comprise both indoor and outdoor seating areas, ensuring a visit need not be seasonal.
Shopping at the Souk
If you love to haggle, then Souk Al- Mubarakiya is your go-to place. Here, you can browse stalls selling Arabic antiques, traditional dresses and Persian carpets. If you are looking for gifts to take home, then look out for perfumes, handmade local crafts, scarves, dresses, jewellery and more. You’ll also find dates, spices, honey and scented oils, as well as shops specialising in eye-catching gold and silver.
While discussing the price of a product, be firm, but not impolite. Similar products are available in multiple shops so you can always compare the price and quality before purchasing. Finally, don’t forget to try some of the delicious traditional Arabic coffee.
You can visit Souk Al- Mubarakiya anytime between 9am and 9pm, and a little later on Fridays. You might find that some restaurants are open for breakfast early morning, and some until late night.
While mornings at the Souk are fun in their own way, it is when darkness falls that Al- Mubarakiya comes to life.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.