From traditional souks (markets) to ultramodern skyscrapers and high-end eateries, Kuwait City has sights and attractions to surprise any visitor.
Cradled between Saudi Arabia and Iraq, this tiny yet beautiful tourist destination is an oasis in a land of desert plains. Kuwait City will surprise any visitor with a number of attractions on offer, from excellent museums and galleries to historic sites, lively restaurants and beautiful beaches. Here Culture Trip suggests an itinerary that will help you get the most out of a weekend visit to Kuwait City.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Pro tip: Although certain locations are accessible on foot, you can always rely on public buses as they are economical and comfortable, costing only 250 fils (£0.63) to travel anywhere in Kuwait.
Morning – Spend the morning at the Kuwait Towers and witness weaver’s magic in Sadu House
Start your morning with a stroll alongside the seashore on Arabian Gulf Street in Sharq district. Then take a tour of the famous Kuwait Towers, located right next to the beach. With their distinctive blue-green “sequins”, they opened in 1979 and are a collection of three towers that serve as a water storage facility, café, restaurant and a revolving lookout point. Take some time out to relax and bask in the beauty of Kuwait from the viewing platform. There is a fee for the viewing platform, but it’s free if you’re a diner.
Pro tip: Dine at the Horizon Restaurant, where you can enjoy an international buffet at 82m (269ft) above sea level.
A short taxi ride away, located right next to the National Museum of Kuwait on the Gulf Road is Bait Al Sadu (Sadu House). Sadu House is different from the other museums in Kuwait that showcase the country’s modern and ancient history through art, artefacts and archaeological findings. It is an experience that you should not miss.
Sadu House is a beautiful, traditional Kuwaiti-styled house where visitors can discover the Bedouin art of weaving (Sadu weaving). Take a walk around the exhibition rooms, learn about the history of weaving and see traditional looms and the delicate metalwork and embroidery that was used to embellish outfits.
Pro tip: Don’t forget to visit the gift store to buy some traditional and authentic Kuwaiti artefacts.
Afternoon – Go on a date with the past in Souq Al-Mubarakiya with the smell of spices for company
Souq Al-Mubarakiya is one of the oldest souks (markets) in Kuwait and is located between Abdullah Al-Mubarak, Abdullah Al-Salem and Palestine streets. It was the center of trade in Kuwait before oil was discovered. The souk has an unmistakable charm that preserves Kuwait’s past beautifully to reflect the country’s rich heritage and culture.
Old men and women in the souk sell everything from herbs, spices and apothecary goods to clothes and accessories. There is nothing you cannot find here at a reasonable rate. Take your time, explore the markets and enjoy the various sights, sounds and smells as you get transported to the ancient Kuwait with all its charm.
Pro tip: Do not settle for the first price you hear. There is scope for negotiating the price and you can actually get good deals from the shops here.
Evening – Time for some fun shopping and dining at The Avenues
The Avenues is the perfect ending to your first day in Kuwait City. This is Kuwait’s largest shopping mall. The layout of the mall is unique with its seemingly endless straight hallways that are intersected by other streets. A high ceiling allows abundant sunlight to pour in, and the decor is magnificent.
The mall offers nearly 800 stores – and around 200 of these are mid- to high-luxury international brands that can really impress a discerning shopper. If shopping is not your thing, you can explore the tastes of the world from the variety of restaurants and cafés in the mall.
Full day – Enjoy a day in calming Failaka Island
After spending all of the first day in the city, why not head to Failaka Island? Around 16km (10mi) offshore, it will be a welcome break and a chance to explore the island’s rugged landscape and stunning archaeological sites.
Pro tip: You can reach the ferry terminal from the city on bus numbers 15 and 34 and take the one-hour Kuwait Public Transport Company Ferry ride to the island.
Stroll through streets reminiscent of Greece with white two-storey houses, small courtyards and bright green doors and window frames. If you have an extra day, book yourself an overnight stay through the town’s only hotel (meals are provided). Alternatively, if you want to try the local way of life, stay over at one of the newly refurbished heritage houses. For those who prefer to head back to the city, hop on the ferry in the evening.
Evening – Enjoy the food aboard a dhow with Al Boom
Wind up your trip with a delicious seafood dinner at Al Boom. A seafood and steakhouse like no other, this atmospheric restaurant is set on the huge Mohammedi II dhow (traditional sailing vessel). Enjoy the Omani lobster, Gulf shrimp skewers and grilled Kuwaiti zubeidi fish. After dinner, enjoy some coffee and dates, offered in the Captain’s Quarters. To complete the unique dining experience, collect your souvenir: a boat nail. This is the best end to a good weekend in Kuwait City.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.