Globe-trotting health seekers are heading to Jordan to relax on the shores of the Red Sea, luxuriate at urban oases in Amman and, of course, float in the therapeutic waters of the Dead Sea. From five-star hotels with luxury spas to more affordable DIY options, here are the best wellness getaways in the country – which you can now book with Culture Trip.
Jordan shares the Dead Sea with neighbouring Israel. Therefore, it’s no surprise that wellness tourism is on the rise here. On top of this, Jordan is home to hot mineral springs, such as those at Ma’in, which have lured travellers to their lagoons since the Roman Empire ruled the country. Escape the daily grind, and unwind in Middle Eastern luxury at one of these top wellness retreats.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located on the shores of the Red Sea, the Heavenly Spa at the Al Manara has plenty of relaxing nooks dotted between steam rooms, therapy baths and calming lounges. The excellent treatment menu draws inspiration from Chinese and Ayurvedic remedies and offers massages using local Aqaba herbs. The hotel’s network of outdoor pools are best enjoyed at sunset.
This luxury hotel has the best of Amman’s bustling city action on its doorstep while providing a calming sanctuary on the inside. Feel completely cocooned in opulence and five-star comforts, from the abundantly healthy breakfast buffet to the calming roof terraces and sky-high open-air swimming pool. The hotel has a spa with an excellent menu of massage packages that are well-worth booking before you check in to avoid disappointment.
This 16-storey five-star property sits in the affluent neighbourhood of Abdoun. Inside, the huge Iridium Spa offers a range of signature treatments, such as the chakra balancing massage and the V-shape Face Lift facial, while St Regis Athletic Club takes care of your workout needs. The Secret Garden Library is a quiet spot on the first floor, where you can enjoy city views in a calm, cosy lounge.
There’s not much surrounding this hotel, but that only adds to its out-of-this-world appeal right on the edge of the Dead Sea. The grounds showcase generously sized pools and neat, lush gardens. Break a sweat in the 24-hour gym, or spend an afternoon soaking in the spa’s Dead Sea salt pool. The treatment menu is brimming with traditional massages and facials. Don’t leave without a dip in the healing and mineral-rich Dead Sea itself.
The combination of meticulous five-star service and luxury treats will help calm you instantly. Why not indulge in a 75-minute full-body massage or Dead Sea facial at the spa? Enjoy an al fresco swim in a pool, circled by grand stone columns, and then a famous Mövenpick ice cream served to your honey-yellow sunbed. There are also a decent gym, a sauna and a hammam.
The European-style spa at the Kempinski Hotel Ishtar offers an indoor Dead Sea pool, so you can soak up the minerals in a peaceful, climate-controlled environment. Indulge in a signature wellness package, such as Home to Heaven (which includes round-trip transport from Amman, a massage and relaxation-themed programmes). A stay here is worth the splurge, with hydro facilities, 26 treatment rooms (including six outdoor rooms), tennis courts, a gym and a yoga studio.
Nestled deep in a canyon, Ma’in is a verdant oasis just 13 kilometres (8mi) from the Dead Sea. The cascading hot-spring waterfalls feed the lush greenery and the man-made swimming pools at the resort. The spa is divinely relaxing and offers the usual treatments. But, what makes this property magical is the otherworldly location and the therapeutic spring waters, in which King Herod is said to have sought healing over 2000 years ago.
Escape to a private beach, 10 minutes outside the city of Aqaba, to Mövenpick Tala Bay. The hotel offers a dive centre, a boot camp, a yoga garden, a 250-metre (820ft) running track and a fitness centre. The Zara Spa features 11 different types of treatment rooms. In addition to more traditional local hammam experiences, it offers modern treatments, such as Thalgo body treatments to target cellulite and marine wraps to detox. Natural and local ingredients are used in many of the treatments.
Urbanites looking for a chic, modern escape often book a stay at the W Amman. Inside, the cosy spa offers some of the best massages and body treatments in the city. Nail your fitness goals with a trainer and nutritionist, and add the finishing touches with facials, manicures and pedicures. Bonus: the hotel’s “whatever, whenever” policy means you can customise your wellness regimen – like arranging a detox menu for your stay.
With a Dead Sea pool and a range of treatments using the highly regarded Trinitae Dead Sea products, the Willow Stream Spa at the Fairmont Amman brings the Dead Sea to the city. The spacious 22,000sqm (236,806sqft) oasis features every kind of amenity one expects from a high-end health-conscious hotel: a hydro pool, vitality pools, ice fountains, personal training (both in-person and on-demand virtual), private and group fitness classes, as well as salon services.
Judy Cogan contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.