Despite Jordan’s small coast line, Aqaba is renowned for being a great location for diving and snorkelling. There are approximately 25 dive sites to choose from, many of them located within Aqaba Marine Park. With warm water temperatures all year around, good visibility and the vast biodiversity of the sea life, Aqaba will have something for you what ever level you are at. Here is our selection of the top 10 diving spots.
Wreck of Cedar Pride
The Wreck of Cedar Pride is the most famous dive site in Aqaba and definitely a must-do. It consists of an 80 meter long cargo ship, sunk by the late King Hussein about 30 years ago. Resting on a bed of two coral gardens, it is full of enchanting marine and coral life.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This site is also known by the name of ‘Ashraf’s Grotto’. Although currently only accessible by boat, this is a beautiful site and great if you’re interested in doing some underwater photography. Made up of several small pinnacles of coral, you’ll see many fish swimming in the shallower depths. Eventually as you slope deeper you will also arrive at a short wall and a curious looking cave.
Accessible only from the shore off Tala Bay, this is also photographer’s paradise. The jetty has beautiful soft coral growing on it and you will also have the chance to see a wide range of sea life including sting rays, turtles, sea horses and a variety of nudibranchs.
The beginning of the reef is mostly grass, but it slopes gently down to several coral pinnacles which have a wonderful variety of life. Yet another wonderful site for some underwater photography, it is very common to see nudibranchs here. Watch out for octopuses, turtles and sting rays.
The Tank and Seven Sisters
Although only a mere five meters below sea level, this site is appealing due its rarity. It’s not every day you get to see an old sunken American anti-aircraft tank! Surrounded by a few large pinnacles teeming with sea life, this site is home to scorpion fish and stone fish. The Seven Sisters and Fairy Ring are both considered to be of an interesting coral pinnacle typography and very worth seeing. The Tank and Seven Sisters is accessible by boat as well as the shore. We recommended this site particularly for beginners who want to try their hand at diving.
The Wreck of Al Sharouk
This wreck lies deep off the Eel Canyon dive site. More of a technical dive, the Wreck of Al-Sharouk is recommended only for advanced and technical divers. Beginning at 35 meters (114.8 ft), it goes down to a depth of 60 meters (196.8 ft).
A great reef for divers of all levels, the Yellowstone reef consists of three large coral gardens as well as a great pinnacle in the shallow area, full of red sponges and nudibranchs.
This site is accessible from shore and by boat although slightly more tricky from the shore unless you dive from Tala Bay.
This site is relatively well-known because of the fact it is highly accessible from most diving centres. If you choose to do this dive we recommend that you combine it with the tarmac site (which is a barge). This way you can check out the grass area with small coral pinnacles on the way to the tarmac dive, as well as exploring the coral and the fish surrounding it.
Look out for turtles which can be spotted at this site, as well as napoleon fish and even the occasional barracuda.
The only wall site in Aqaba, many technical trimix drivers choose to dive this site as the wall drops, extending to over 200 meters (656 ft) of depth. Only accessible by boat, the reef begins at one meter and creates a slope shelf gradually dropping down to 19 meters (62 ft) further than the wall.
Unfortunately, overfishing has hurt this wonderful dive site, but because it is the only wall site here there may be a small chance of seeing something bigger like a shark!
Rainbow Reef North
The Rainbow Reef North is accessible from the shore and by boat. If you start as far north as you can on this reef and dive across the eight suspension cables you will approach a nice coral garden with a variety of healthy coral and fish.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.