When you visit the city of Amman, you will want to explore the city properly in order to see all its historical and cultural sights. But in order to get the very best out of your visit to Jordan, do take a day trip from Amman to Jordan’s finest attractions. Here is our pick of the best.
In the very north of Jordan lies the beautiful historical Umm Qais. Only a few kilometres past the city of Irbid, you will encounter the green meadows of Umm Qais stretching as far as the eye can see, interrupted only by its Byzantine timeless ruins. For such a trip, you only need a packed picnic and an early morning rise.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In just an hour north by car, you will find yourself at the towering mountains of Ajlun, with much to see. Start off by visiting the tall-standing Ajlun castle which dominates the hilltop, not forgetting to check out the museum included in the sight. Walk down to the Ajlun Woodland Reserve and enjoy the breathtaking wildlife Ajlun is famous for.
Waking up to a sunny morning in Amman means that a trip to the Colonnaded Street of Jerash is a must. Jerash spreads out on a hill with colourful nature all around. When walking the Colonnaded Street, you will feel the sheer thrill of how many great rulers have passed over it on their horses. Jerash is a uniquely established Byzantine city, and you will feel it coming to life as soon as you set foot in it.
Mount Nebo is the famous religious elevated ridge located in Madaba, and it is said in the Hebrew Bible that it is the place where Moses first saw the Holy Land. The precise spot where Moses stood is marked by his giant staff protruding out of the ground. From there you can take look around you at the breathtaking view of Palestine, Lake Tiberias, the Dead Sea and the Jordan River. Make sure to visit the church of St. George and admire the exquisite art of mosaic drawing that Madaba is famous for.
An early rise in the morning, with your packed suitcase ready, and you are off to one of Jordan‘s lowest and most beloved attractions, the Dead Sea. It is best to attempt this trip in the spring or the latest months of summer, for the heat will be almost unbearable in the mid-summer days. It is not advised, neither for locals nor tourists, to visit the public beach, for it is sadly not very clean or comfortable. However, head out to your favourite hotel and pay an entrance fee, and you can then swim at the hotel’s pool, and take advantage of food vouchers to use at all times of day.
In Petra, a lot can be done and seen in one day, but to thoroughly explore this city, an overnight stay is highly recommended. Nevertheless, planning a day trip to Petra is an experience to look forward to. A very early rise is required for this one in order to catch up the jaw-dropping view of the city’s shifting colours from sunrise until sundown. Be prepared and take lots of drinking water, towels, a scarf, sunscreen and comfy shoes with you for all the walking and climbing that awaits you.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.