We sit down with VP Creative for the Viacom Brands in Israel, and Head of MTV Music El’ad Sonego to discuss how the original U.S. version of MTV impacted Israeli culture with its arrival in the 90’s, the success of MTV Israel since its inception in 2011, and what they are doing to adapt to the ever changing world of technology.
What kind of impact did the original American version of MTV have on Israeli culture upon its arrival in the 90’s?
El’ad: MTV was very big in Israel in the 90’s, it was huge! My generation grew up very isolated, Israel was very isolated. Before cable networks there was only one channel, run by the government, and they didn’t play pop music or rock and roll, it was mostly Israeli folk music that in some way promoted Zionism or the governments political views.
Back then, I didn’t even think about the possibility of doing what I do today, working in the television industry, in the music business, or being an artist. When I was in high school we thought it was impossible to be successful in the music industry as an artist. Now, we see the first generation of Israeli pop artists making it big and becoming superstars.
Before MTV came along, Israelis were very modest, thinking that you shouldn’t aim to be rich, that you shouldn’t be too artistic. We became soldiers at the age of 18, got out of the army, built a home for our family and prepared for the next war and that was that.
So when MTV came along it opened up a window for my generation to truly start dreaming big, we wanted more, we wanted to see the world and to bring the world back to Israel.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
How successful has MTV Israel been since its inception in 2011?
El’ad: MTV had a massive cultural impact in the 90’s, back when MTV was strictly music before the long-form reality T.V. series began to dominate, so when we started MTV Israel we wanted to take it back to its roots.
We knew that some people would want to see the long-form shows such as Jackass and Real World but we knew that the Israeli artists that write and sing in English needed a way to get to bigger markets. We felt that we needed to be at this crossroad of bringing international music into Israel and getting the locals exposure outside of Israel.
When we started MTV Israel my superiors wanted us to focus on the long-form reality style T.V. shows, they told me “were not really into the music stuff anymore. I told them that’s fine but that doesn’t mean we have to let go of all the great things you did before. Then YouTube came along and I felt like the network was missing out on all that action and I wanted to do something about it, and claim back the Music. I wanted to use technology for that, so we’ve started working on a 2nd screen app. When I presented the idea to my bosses – they said ‘fine, just get a sponsor and do it!’
The ratings of MTV were doubled and then tripled – that was after launching MTV Israel, instead of MTV Europe. After we’ve launched the Master App – we’ve had a 44% growth of ratings & 80% growth of income from commercial collaborations! The levels of audience engagement went off the charts as well. By focusing on the music we’ve succeed where other MTVs have failed.
How are you adapting to the ever changing world of media and technology?
El’ad: New technology gets old fast. When you are a big organization you need to constantly be looking one, three, five years ahead to see where technology is going to go and what’s going to happen.
Our new MTV Master Trivia app is one way we are trying to evolve and adapt to the rapidly changing world of technology. Also, since its Israel, we’re the only MTV channel to have NO ad space of commercials. This is why we needed the Master – so we could have some ad space online, where there’s no regulation.
How does the app work?
It works like this: the MTV Master Trivia game is a Multi-Screen Experience – The questions appear on the linear screen, and the viewer’s answer by using their mobile devices. There are only 20 seconds to answer each question. 5 questions per music video. 5 music videos per program.
I think these days people would ask themselves what’s the point of having music on MTV when you have YouTube? The MTV Master app is the answer to that. Sure, anyone can go on YouTube and get exactly what they want, but with the app MTV can package everything, theme everything, and add a little interaction and excitement to the music listening experience in a festive and fun way.
We are looking for new development opportunities for the app, to familiarize other networks and production companies outside of Israel with the app and its amazing influence on the audience when using this app in a show. We are hoping that in the near future other shows will combine within this app including game shows, sports shows, reality and also – live events.
By Maxwell Tylim
Max graduated from the Florida State University in 2014 earning his undergrad degree in International Relations. He has recently moved to Tel Aviv, Israel to study Hebrew and pursue a career in freelance writing in order to share his passion for culture with the world. Max’s loves to write about music, history, travel and lifestyle.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.