Eid al-Adha, the second Eid of the year, is all about the spirit of sharing. Here’s a basic guide to gift giving over this holiday.
Eid al-Adha, also known as the Festival of Sacrifice, follows Hajj, the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia. According to the lunar Islamic calendar, it falls on the tenth day of Dhu al-Hijjah (Arafat Day), so the date changes by approximately 11 days on the Gregorian calendar each year. This time around, the expected Eid ul-Adha dates are August 20 and August 21.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Eid al-Adha gifting for children
Muslims around the world celebrate Eid al-Adha in various ways that adhere to their particular culture. However, one thing that remains constant (in the UAE and throughout the globe) is what an exciting time this is for children. They eagerly await the dawn of the first day of Eid when they get to wear new clothes, often national dress items such as the Kandoura for boys.
Another reason for the excitement is that children are gifted money throughout the holiday. After the Eid prayer, they visit relatives and friends with their family. The aim: to collect as much eidia as possible. The term ‘eidia‘ refers to the monetary gifts young people receive over Eid.
Eid al-Adha gifting for adults
Adults are often gifted new clothes as well. The perfect time to wear these presents is while meeting people throughout the holiday. Although friends and colleagues don’t usually hand out money to adults, some family members still find that appropriate.
“Parents, uncles and aunts often give even grown-ups eidia as they still see them as kids,” Hind Bin Demaithan, Director of the Events Department at the Hamdan Bin Mohammed Heritage Center (HCC), tells Culture Trip.
Special sweet treats handed out by neighbours and loved ones are enjoyed by both kids and adults. Because it’s quite time consuming to prepare edible gifts (such as pistachio cookies, baklava, and date cookies), fine dates are a popular choice. Date palms tend to thrive in the Middle East as the climate is hot, so businesses market a broad range of date boxes around this time. Covered with chocolate, stuffed with nuts, dark and fleshy, or light and fine – there’s practically every type of date you can think of.
Eid al-Adha giving includes a great meal
On Eid, Muslims invite friends and colleagues, regardless of their faith, to dine at home. Every household that can afford to do so purchases a domestic animal (usually a cow or sheep) to be sacrificed after Hajj. Usually, one-third of the meat is eaten by the family, and the majority is distributed among the needy. The animal is significant because in the Quran, Ibrahim’s faith was tested when he was ordered to sacrifice his only son.
Keeping Eid al-Adha gifts traditional in the UAE
Although Eid al-Adha gifts have become more in tune with modern times and are suited to the individual’s style and taste, the HHC is trying to hold on to traditions with their offerings.
“Gifts are now branded at HHC and can be anything from traditional sweets, toys and gadgets to pouches with AED coins inside,” Demaithan explains. “The latter is a model we have followed at HHC in the past few years to revive this tradition and sustain it as a part of our cultural heritage.”
According to Demaithan, this time of bonding plays an important role and helps people reflect positively on their communities. By coming up with mascots that express their national identity, values and sentiments, the HCC hopes that children will keep the Eid traditions alive and remain patriotic, ambitious, innovative and generous.
“For the purpose of passing on the Emirati heritage to children, we have launched two mascots, Omeir and Ghbeisha, to appear at various malls and public places during Eid and other occasions,” she adds.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.