From the peaks of Snowdonia to the rugged coastal beauty of the Isle of Anglesey, the great outdoors in Wales will challenge even the most seasoned adventurers. We’ve rounded up the best adrenaline rushes to be found here.
Tackle a range of peaks in Snowdonia
Famous for mountains, Snowdonia National Park offers one of the most remarkable outdoor experiences in the UK. If you don’t feel like a hike you can always take the Snowdon Mountain Railway up to the top and enjoy the views. There are also plenty of peaks for the more adventurous to enjoy. We have more adventures around the world with our series of Mini Trips you can book right now.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Live out Lewis Carroll’s real Wonderland
The Victorian seaside resort of Llandudno was home to Alice Liddell, the inspiration behind Lewis Carroll’s famous character. Immerse yourself in this beloved tale by following the Alice Town Trail. The journey starts next to a magnificent marble White Rabbit and takes you past spectacular views in the Happy Valley, into the Haulfre Gardens and finishes in the Diamond Quarter.
Experience extreme kayaking
Embrace open waters on the Isle of Anglesey with Sea Kayaking UK. From sheltered bays to tidal races, there’s an opportunity for every type of kayaker to embrace the sport. Alternatively, explore with BLUEsky in Conwy who specialise in rockhopping.
Test your endurance on a 12-mile trail
Adventure unfolds more readily in the wild, and the Lôn Eifion cycle trail is an exhilarating way to experience the outdoors. Starting near Caernarfon Castle, the trail allows you pit yourself against a 12-mile stretch of North Wales. Cycle alongside the Welsh Highland Railway and then try to keep your balance as you enjoy knockout views of Caernarfon Bay and Snowdonia.
Expand your tastes on the ultimate gastronomic voyage
Those who prefer a serving of domesticity can head to the Bodnant Welsh Food Centre where you can experience bee-keeping demonstrations, create new dishes in cookery classes, or buy great Welsh produce. Keep your eyes peeled for Halen Môn sea salt; sourced from the sea around the Isle Of Anglesey.
Figure out how to pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
The Isle of Angelsey was the last place in Wales to resist the Roman invasion, and burial mounds from the Neolithic and Bronze Age communities remain to this day. As well as exploring its cultural history, visitors to the isle can also enjoy a linguistic adventure, as this is home to the longest place name in Europe: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (translation: Saint Mary’s Church in the hollow of the white hazel near the rapid whirlpool and the Church of Saint Tysilio of the red cave).
Explore the River Dee on a horse-drawn boat trip
This Unesco World Heritage Site is an impressive feat of engineering. Nicknamed ‘the stream in the sky’, it was built in 1805 and is the largest aqueduct in Britain. Those with a taste for heights may choose to test their endurance and walk across the 19-pillar structure, but if you want a unique experience why not take in the clear waters of the River Dee on a horse-drawn boat trip along the beautiful Llangollen canal?
Investigate the greatest castles and tiniest houses
In Conwy, explore the beautiful 700-year-old Unesco World Heritage Site Conwy Castle, one of Edward I’s greatest defences during his reign. You can also explore the 21 towers along the walls that enclose Conway town. After this medieval expedition, squeeze yourself into Quay House. At only 10ft x 6ft (3m x 2m), it is the smallest house in Britain.
Tackle mile-long zip wires
Zip wires aren’t just for children; everyone will struggle to contain their excitement while soaring along the longest zip wire in Europe. Located in Bethesda, just outside Snowdonia National Park, the aptly named Zip World Velocity invites adventurers to hurtle a mile across a quarry while hanging 500ft (152m) in the air.
Walk along the Edge Of Wales
The Edge of Wales route is a coastal path that runs along the top of the Llŷn Peninsula and follows the pilgrims’ routes to Bardsey Island. For other adrenaline-filled walks in North Wales, try the Mary Jones walk in the Snowdonia National Park, or explore along the Taith Ardudwy Way.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.