If you’re a student in Scotland’s beautiful capital, Edinburgh, and looking for the next best student deal, look no further. When you find yourself hungry at the University of Edinburgh, here are 10 places near campus where you can have delicious food for a fiver or less. Please your tummy and your wallet by heading to one of these gems.
This vegetarian food stall, situated right where the Edinburgh University library becomes the Meadows, has some of the highest quality food at student prices. All the food is organic and sourced locally, and has a freshness that you can really taste. Staples on the menu are a unique and absolutely delicious veggie burger made with nuts, vegetables, seeds, cheese, and rice, as well as ‘the falafel’, which is three falafels stuffed in a flatbread wrap with fresh salad. Other options occasionally include Mexican dishes such as fajitas and quesadillas. If you are looking for a scrumptious, healthy meal you can enjoy while strolling through the Meadows, pop over to one of Edinburgh’s best food stalls.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Fairtrade Café
The Fairtrade Café is the genius product of one of Edinburgh Uni’s societies. Many students are unfortunately not aware of its existence, as it takes place only on Mondays, from 1pm – 2pm, in the University’s Chaplaincy. However, those who do know of it rarely fail to return after having gone once. The food is all cooked right before serving in the Chaplaincy kitchen using fresh and fair trade ingredients. As the cooking goes on, delicious smells fill the Chaplaincy area, which is packed with students working. Past dishes include all manners of vegetarian soups, whole wheat breads, purple cabbage, and different kinds of cakes and bakes.
Fairtrade Café; Edinburgh University Chaplaincy, 1 Bristo Square, Edinburgh, Scotland; e: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Mosque Kitchen
Edinburgh residents, when told to go to the Mosque Kitchen, will ask, ‘Which one?’ After all, there are two restaurants calling themselves The Mosque Kitchen around Edinburgh Uni. One of them, located inside the mosque’s gate, is called ‘The Original Mosque Kitchen’ and also has a place called the Aroma Café inside, while the other, right on Nicolson Square, boasts that it is the ‘first and only’. Fortunately, both will give you a large variety of delicious curries with more than plentiful portions and excellent prices. On Tuesday evening, the Original Mosque Kitchen is taken over by Roots, a Christian missionary group that gives away all the curries and dishes for free in exchange for some community-building activities.
The Mosque Kitchen; 31 Nicolson Square, Edinburgh, Scotland; t: +44 (0)131 667 4035
The Original Mosque Kitchen; Edinburgh Central Mosque, 50 Potterrow, Edinburgh, Scotland
The Police Box Coffee Bars
These cafés, called the way they are because they are in reinvented police boxes, are dotted around campus, two being in George Square alone. If you are in the mood for a truly cheap lunch, head on over. Specialising in coffee, these booths also offer yummy bagels for £2 (try the cream cheese and chive one), as well as numerous treats for under £2. Small coffees of any kind, as well as teas, can be had for £2 or under, meaning you can have a full meal for about a fiver. Or if you spent too much last night, grab a cheap bagel and you shall be set.
The Police Box Coffee Bars; George Square, Edinburgh, Scotland
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.