A perfect blend of old and new, Scotland’s urban jungles accommodate all kinds, from creative minds forever on the move to the slew of city slickers enamoured with the 9 to 5 hustle and bustle. And yet, there’s another side to this bonnie land. A side riddled with age-old histories, undulating glens, secret caves and wide-open patches of untamed wilderness – spaces worth getting lost in. For many, such places appear lonely, drab or simply too ‘dreich’ to explore. But to the self-confessed soul searchers drawn to the unpredictable and the paths less travelled, Scotland boasts a paradise all of its own. And we’ve found just the videos to prove it.
Scotland / Be A Part Of It is a short film by UNFAZED that transports the viewer to Scotland’s wildest and most magical parts. The sequence of striking cinematic shots, in tandem with the poetic voice-over, answer that all-important question asked by adventurers and wanderers alike – what is it that drives us north? Why do people seek out wild and remote places such as Scotland over all-inclusive package holidays where the sun always shines and the margaritas appear on tap?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With each person comes a different set of motives for gravitating towards the world’s northern reaches. Simply put, Scotland / Be A Part Of It entices the viewer to ignite (or rekindle) that sense of adventure through an insightful journey that highlights snippets of Scottish history and rugged patches of trackless landscape. It’s astonishing to think that UNFAZED, who partnered up with Edinburgh-based Rabbie’s Tours, shot this beautiful footage with no more than their gear, a car and a perceptive eye.
Scotland stars once again in Isolation, another short film by UNFAZED that features a character on an existential quest of self-discovery. Through connecting with his unworldly Highland surroundings, the character in question ponders the topic of isolation and the flurry of accompanying fears that can arise.
As the film progresses, the adventurer reaches a level of acceptance so liberating it can only come from somewhere as awe-inspiring as the most remote parts of Scotland. Suddenly, the act of venturing into the wild seems less lonely, as crystal shots of sentient Scottish lochs, towering Munros and herds of wise deer come into focus. Free from social constructs and fuelled by the all-encompassing natural beauty, Isolation urges the viewer to reflect upon what actually matters.
UNFAZED returns to the Highlands with The Scottish Disciple, a seven-minute documentary that follows the story of Kevin Mackay, a resilient Scot who sought solace in martial arts after sustaining an injury from a painful work accident. Set to a Western-style score, this film engages the viewer with Kevin’s discerning observations and unaffected way of life.
This philosophical Scot, like many who live in Scotland’s remote parts or far removed isles, flourishes from the lack of Wi-Fi and hi-tech gadgets. Rather, he’s one who thrives upon his inherent bond with nature and the land, much like the generations before him.
UNFAZED, the creative force behind these enlightening videos, is a talented collective of filmmakers and photographers based in Paris, Seoul and London motivated by a passion for storytelling and a lust for life. Always yearning for that next cultural expedition or soulful encounter, UNFAZED travels the globe ready to capture the magic that exists within the world’s last wildernesses and the beauty found throughout the stories of the people they meet.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.