Scotland, with its die-hard tartan wearers and sporadic displays of kilts, happens to be a place where fashion screams fluidity and style appears in abundance. From ravishing 60s siren and dashing 40s debonair, to 70s disco funk queen, rummaging through rails of different decades, ironically, never gets old. Embrace a blast from the past, dress to impress and discover the best vintage stores in Edinburgh.
A fabulous force to be reckoned with, Herman Brown is a cut above the rest. Since its conception in 1983, this stunner has meticulously sourced the best women’s and men’s clothing out there. What’s more, they’ve done so without the unwanted ‘fusty musty dusty’ feeling common to many vintage emporiums. From a myriad of clothes and jewellery, to accessories, you’ll never leave Herman Brown empty handed. Expect to find luxurious fashion picks, along with gloriously gaudy 80s and 90s gear from the HB Electronics range – it’s so ghastly its perfect!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A cabinet of clothing curiosity, Armstrongs is an ever-evolving time capsule tailored to all things retro, vintage, bespoke, random and rugged. Whether granny-chic with oversized Fair Isle knits, punk to the core with chains galore, tartan, leather, or 20s sophistication, Armstrongs literally has you covered from head to toe. Although a tad overwhelming, due to the sheer number of options, scanning over this hazy maze of unrivalled retro is the best kind of therapy. Those in need of a party dress, bashed up leather jacket, last-minute fancy dress costume or unnecessary accessories will lap it up like no tomorrow.
Those Were The Days
No need for sobering bouts of brooding nostalgia, head to Those Were The Days and relive those glory moments with the most precious fashion finds. A welcomed and meticulously curated blast from the past, this darling boutique showcases the best of bridal, women’s and men’s vintage finds from the 1920s all the way to the 1990s. From 50s gold tiered cocktail dresses and 80s pink sequined numbers, to high end designers like Chanel, Givenchy and Versace, every item is the perfect embodiment of its era. More of a spiritual adventure than a mundane shopping spree, a visit to this little beauty is always a day-maker.
A double whammy, Godiva sources the best independent designers with a penchant for sustainable, ethical and eco friendly clothes, while showcasing a fabulous assortment of vintage finds. Perfect for hipsters and rock stars alike, Godiva is adorned with a multitude of leather and denim jackets, easy-going checked shirts, figure-hugging skirts, dungarees and all the good stuff in between. All in all, it’s a dream place to show some pre-loved clothing a little extra TLC and a must for style pioneers eager to challenge the drab high street monotony.
Miss Bizio Couture
Who says vintage clothing has to be all tat and no taste? Miss Bizio, an exquisite upscale vintage haven, holds the key to show-stopping dresses, jackets, and accessories. Although many of the items may come with a hefty price tag, there’s no denying the adrenaline rush when unearthing that bespoke Matthew Williamson jacket or pre-loved late 50s Gucci handbag. Founded by the brilliant Joanna Bizio, a master purveyor of all things vintage, Miss Bizio Couture is a one-stop shop for the ultra swanky and glamorous vintage collector.
There’s a reason why Carnivàle Vintage, with its ever-expanding selection, is a magnet for locals and vintage enthusiasts. Renowned for having one of the greatest vintage selections in the city, this supreme store will never let you down. Timeless pieces from the 1940s all the way through to the 1970s make for a truly transformative shopping experience. They feature both menswear and women’s, along with jewellery and furniture, so finding that one-off retro staple is never a chore.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.