Holiday apartments are a home away from home, with more space, freedom and privacy than you’ll find in most hotels – and Scotland is home to some seriously stylish options. Whether you’re looking for a sophisticated city pad for a corporate stay or an apartment with castle views, here are the best holiday apartments in Scotland.
This four-star aparthotel, in the heart of Edinburgh on the Royal Mile, is within walking distance of the city’s best shopping, as well as famous historic landmarks including Edinburgh Castle. There are 146 sleekly designed, pet-friendly apartments and studios; each features a fully equipped kitchen. Guests also have access to a fitness room and private car park, making it ideal for those looking for a long stay. Families travelling with young children will love the kids’ corners, which offer books, colouring activities and educational games.
These stylish apartments in Edinburgh – just a three-minute walk to the Scottish Parliament Building and a 10-minute walk from Waverley Train Station – have been designed with extended stays in mind. There are one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments that sleep up to four adults, with fully equipped kitchens and spacious living areas. If you don’t have time to prepare breakfast in the morning, order one of the handy grab-and-go breakfast boxes. Packed with cereal, milk, a muffin, granola mix and juice, it’s a quick and easy way to start a busy day.
You’ll instantly feel at home in these thoughtfully designed, award-winning apartments in the heart of Edinburgh’s Old Town. The historic Old Town Chambers building has been transformed into 50 designer apartments, including a 15th-century two-bedroom town house – the freestanding bathtub surrounded by drapes and gothic-style candles alone is worth booking a stay here for. The concierge team is also on standby to assist. If you book a long stay you’ll receive a complimentary welcome hamper with all the essentials, and you can also organise additional food deliveries to help stock the fridge.
Planning to visit Nessie? Book a stay at these luxury serviced apartments set on the banks of River Ness in Inverness, just a 25-minute drive to Loch Ness. Depending on which apartment you book, you’ll be treated to views of the river, Inverness Castle and the surrounding mountains, or the city rooftops. The fully furnished apartments are also perfectly located to visit the Isle of Skye and Culloden battlefield, making it a convenient spot if you want to explore the Scottish Highlands.
This new aparthotel in Edinburgh’s vibrant Grassmarket district is just as charming, stylish and quirky as the Irish poet Oscar Wilde, who was the inspiration behind its design. Each of the 128 apartments celebrates Wilde’s signature style: elegant marble and brass details, bespoke joinery and wild art deco-patterned carpets. The on-site Wilde Cafe serves a buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner, and is open as a bar until midnight. There’s also a 24/7 self-service pantry selling drinks, snacks, groceries and toiletries.
If you’re travelling with a family or a large group, a holiday apartment will give you far more flexibility and a better price than a traditional hotel. The Dalry Gait Edinburgh Pearl Apartments in the heart of the city are two- to four-bedroom apartments that sleep up to eight guests. Each apartment has everything you need for a convenient stay, including handy laundry facilities. It’s just a 10-minute walk to the Edinburgh International Conference Centre, as well as many of the city’s tourist hotspots, and you’ll also get free private parking on-site.
These brand new luxury apartments and suites have been tastefully decorated in a palette of subdued greys and neutrals, offering guests a relaxing haven in the centre of Edinburgh. The 12 spacious apartments also feature 24-hour monitored security, so guests will have peace of mind during their stay. If you like to enjoy the fresh air, book a deluxe garden suite, which opens out onto a plant-filled courtyard with seating. In cold weather, cosy up next to the fireplace and admire the views over Edinburgh from the palatial penthouse apartment.
The mid-century-inspired interiors of Destiny Scotland’s St Andrew Square Apartments offer a stylish base from which to explore Edinburgh. Located in the lively East End, the apartments are just a 10-minute walk to the Old Town and the Royal Mile, and are perfectly located to indulge in a spot of shopping at Harvey Nichols and Multrees Walk. If you want to stay in, you can relax in the bright, light-filled living spaces or cook up a storm in the fully equipped kitchen.
Fancy more places to stay in stunning Scotland? Check out our guide to unique holiday apartments in Edinburgh, bookable with Culture Trip. If you’re travelling with a four-legged family member, book into one of Scotland’s best pet-friendly hotels.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.