Many travellers to Inverness seek it out only as a ‘base camp’ for nearby adventures, like Loch Ness or Culloden Moor, and spend little to no time enjoying the city. Worthy pursuits, but Inverness has its own delights worth uncovering. Come and soak up the atmosphere at 10 of the best pubs and bars this Scottish city has to offer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bar One Inverness
This lively and unpretentious spot prides itself on being Inverness’ ‘original cocktail bar’. Serving up delicious cocktails alongside high-energy tunes and a bustling atmosphere, it’s clear Bar One has gotten the formula for success right. Keen learners can also sign up to take cocktail-making classes from the helpful bar staff.
This is the ideal location to enjoy some Scottish music in the capital of the Highlands, and the best place to go is Johnny Foxes, which has live entertainment every night, ranging from trad to popular tunes to the occasional karaoke night. Order some pub food and a pint, and sit back and listen.
Come to Number 27 with an appetite, because the food is as worthwhile as the drinks. Try the Highland chicken, wrapped in bacon and served atop a bed of haggis with black pudding mash — and on Mondays, don’t miss the steak dinner special. And of course, grab a glass of vino to accompany it.
For a classic Highland pub experience, look no further than Gellions Bar. Dating back to 1841, this pub has live music every night, a ceilidh, or traditional Scottish dance, on Saturdays, and a menu of quintessential food and drink.
Originally opening its doors in 1860, this pub is one of the oldest bars in Inverness. The bar houses multiple darts, dominoes and pool teams, as well as serving as a meeting ground for avid fans of Caley Thistle, or the Inverness Caledonian Thistle Football Club, making it a lively and energetic place. Stop by to watch the sporty proceedings and enjoy a drink along with classic pub fare like battered haddock or a steak and ale pie.
The Snow Goose
This charming country pub offers a delightfully quaint atmosphere and rustic seasonal cooking amidst beautiful surroundings, located on land originally a part of Stoneyfield House, a holding on the Raigmore Estate built around 1780. With a handpicked wine list of nearly 40 offerings, as well as craft ales and other beverages, there is something for everyone.
The Castle Tavern
In good weather, head over to this traditional tavern to make use of its beer garden, which is full of bright red picnic tables. An award-winning Real Ale pub, The Castle Tavern affords views of the castle and is a friendly, inviting place for a drink with friends.
This welcoming Church St pub is well known for its live Scottish music. Order up some traditional food and drinks from the menu, find a table and take in the sounds of whatever talented musical act is at the helm that night.
Bustling with locals, with a cheerful staff and laid-back vibe, The Waterfront is a scenic pub which offers filling meals and tasty drinks for reasonable prices — try the cocktail of the week for £5. This place gets busy, so book a table beforehand, particularly on Thursdays when the pub plays host to live music.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.