The Scots are expert purveyors of words. When in doubt, they always have this uncanny ability to talk the hind legs off a donkey. They say a picture is worth a thousand words; in Scotland, the opposite reigns true. A few simple words can result in the most in-depth image being imprinted into the mind for all eternity. So that yer heid isnae full o mince, haud yer wheesht, and tak a wee gander at some braw Scottish sayings that you need to start using.
Ye look like wan o’clock half struck.
Translation: You only look half awake. Inject yourself with caffeine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Yer heid’s in a fankle.
Translation: You seem awfully confused.
That’s Jock’s news.
Translation: Tell me something new. That’s so last season.
Ye look like the cat’s elbow.
Translation: My word, you are far too skinny. Eat a pie.
Wheesht yer puss.
Translation: Be quiet, shut up, and stop talking. Do you not know that silence is golden?
Twelve herrings an’ a bagpipe mak a rebellion.
Translation: That is an over exaggeration.
Ye look like something the cat dragged in.
Translation: What on earth are you wearing? Did you sleep last night? You look like a disheveled mess.
Ye’ve goat a face like cake left oot in the rain.
Translation: Your face is getting wrinkled and worn. Invest in some good anti-ageing cream.
He’s a tattie-lugged loon.
Translation: That boy has rather large ears bestowed upon him.
A lie is half-way roon Scotland afore the truth has its boots oan.
Translation: News travels fast. Be careful what you say.
Translation: I simply don’t believe it. Yeah, right.
Wur youse vaccinated wi’ a gramophone needle?
Translation: Wow. You really don’t stop talking. Ever.
Yer doin’ ma heid in!
Translation: Shut up. Stop talking. You are the epitome of annoying.
Haud Yer Wheesht.
Translation: Please stop talking ASAP.
Yer aw bum an’ parsley.
Translation: You are rather big headed and hold yourself in high regard.
Wur tearin’ the tartan.
Translation: We are having a right old gossip and chatting the day away.
Hit that wi’ a tattie.
Translation: My word, that is quite posh.
Yon’s twa-faced an’ nane of them’s pretty.
Translation: That two-faced so-and-so has some nerve. They cannot be trusted one bit.
Yer heid’s full o’ mince.
Translation: You are talking a load of nonsense. Your head is in the clouds.
Ah’m fair scunnered.
Translation: I am totally fed up.
Birds an’ blethers baith fly.
Translation: News travels fast.
Better tae bust oot than rust oot.
Translation: Live every moment of life to the absolute fullest before you die.
When the dram’s inside the sense is ootside.
Translation: Alcohol loosens you up and sheds all inhibitions.
Gae’s a wee swally.
Translation. Please may I have a small sip of your drink?
Is the cat deid?
Translation: Why are your trousers so short?
Help ma boab.
Translation: I am rather surprised right now.
That maks ye look like a tattiebogle.
Translation: Wow — you look like a scarecrow when you wear that outfit.
It’s awfa difficult choosin’ between twa clean coos.
Translation: They all look the same.
Who stole yer scone?
Translation: Why are you so upset?
It’ll be a skoosh.
Translation: Don’t worry. It will be so easy.
Yer talkin’ mince withoot a tattie in sight.
Translation: Are you serious? Every word uttered from your mouth is nonsense.
Ya muckle gype.
Translation: You are a massive idiot. You tool.
Yer a half-melted welly?
Translation: You aren’t the sharpest tool in the shed, are you?
Yer ma wee chookie hen.
Translation: You are the apple of my eye and so special to me.
Translation: Goodness me.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.