Following in the footsteps of Glasgow’s resplendent street art scene, Edinburgh boasts its fair share of inspired murals. Simply seek and you shall find. As the kingpin of the capital’s street art movement, Leith is a hotbed of creative genius and visual feast of art-adorned buildings beckoning the mind’s eye to engage. From the historical to the contemporary, explore our art guide of some of the most mind-reeling murals embellishing Leith.
LeithLate: The Minds Behind The Magic
Responsible for putting Edinburgh’s street art world on the map, LeithLate is a visual arts organisation dedicated to championing public art initiatives like The Mural Project — a public artworks movement that preserves history, heritage and community spirit through these visual narratives — The Shutter Project (artists sprucing up local shop shutters with bespoke artworks), and the LeithLate Festival — an annual celebration with its exhibitions, panel talks, mural tours, installations, on-street interventions, spoken word performances and film screenings. Give LeithLate a blank space and an artist, and the result is a wondrous network of bespoke street art woven into the architectural and cultural fabric of Leith.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Leith History Mural By Tim Chalk & Paul Grime
A local treasure found near the Leith Library, the Leith History Mural is one of the original historical murals that predates those commissioned by LeithLate. The masterpiece of Tim Chalk and Paul Grime, this captivating public artwork journeys through time to narrate Leith’s colourful history.
The Leith Aquatic By Blameless Collective (2013)
A collaborative effort crafted in a torrent of creative burst by Blameless Collective, The Leith Aquatic is anchored on Halmyre Street and stays true to the legacy of Leith with its take on the Leith Persevere Crest. The ship was inspired by the last steam ship registered in Leith, the SS Explorer, while the fluid lines and telling narratives collide in the Scottish swelling sea.
Eduardo Paolozzi By Russell Dempster (2014)
This mural by Fife artist Russell Dempster pays homage to Leith-born artist, Pop Art pioneer and one of the UK’s most celebrated post-war sculptors Eduardo Paolozzi. This portrait, with its powerful gaze and brooding essence, can be found on Henderson Street and is comprised of paste-up poster, paint and pastel.
Wronger Rites By Kirsty Whiten (2015)
Always one to challenge entrenched precedents, renowned Scottish artist Kirsty Whiten never fails to create art that ignites the senses through her captivating social commentaries. Her Wronger Rites mural is no exception. Wronger Rites: The Quing of the Now Peoples was launched as part of LeithLate in the form of permanent and temporary public artworks spanning from paste ups opposite the Union St Printmakers to a poster tower on Leith Walk. Her stirring hand-painted mural lives a stone’s throw from Out Of The Blue Drill Hall on Dalmeny Street.
Elph Mural By Elph (2016)
Raved-about artist Elph is all the rage, with his work complimenting a labyrinth of buildings, walls and spaces around town. Lighting up Leith Walk with its haunting eyes, unicorn colours, textured hair and alluring vibe, the Elph Mural pays a firm nod to Japanese manga and anime characters while adding to the cultural pizzazz of Leith.
Pilrig Park Mural By Too Much Fun Club (2017)
Infused with bunches of personality and a pleasing potion of colours, the Pilrig Park Mural descended upon its city in 2017. Another spellbinding LeithLate collaboration by the Too Much Fun Club and Friends of Pilrig Park; the main sources of inspiration for the artists involved was the Pilrig Park Special Secondary School pupils, as well as members of Pilmeny Youth Centre, via collaborative workshops.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.