With its fair share of trackless paths, ascending hills and intoxicating coastal views, the Isle of Mull tops the list as one of Scotland’s best destinations for outdoor lovers. As the second largest island of the Inner Hebrides and the country’s top wildlife-watching spot, there’s an abundance of natural beauty to seek out. From bagging a Munro to wild swimming, here’s why Mull is a recipe for pure adventure.
It’s the perfect blend of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
Between the kaleidoscopic seafront houses framing Tobermory and the vast, varied landscape, Mull is a dreamy combination of both highland and island life. Single track roads weave in and out of the lush terrain while the best rests off the trail. Between the pink-quartz coastlines, glimmering beaches, lochs and verdant wilderness, Mull is essentially a microcosm that encapsulates Scotland on one island, yet with its own unique persona.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There’s a Munro to be bagged
Towering over its brood of smaller hills is the mighty Ben More, Mull’s one lone Munro. After its teammates from Skye, Ben More is the highest peak in the Inner Hebrides and made Munro status by reaching an elevation of over 3,000 feet (914.4 metres). The best way to bag this beauty is starting from Loch na Keal by the shores from which it rises. Since the mountain is scree-slope heavy, conscientious climbers should tread with caution. Like the rest of Scotland’s Munros, the views atop make it all worthwhile.
But there’s also a Corbett to be had
Dùn da Ghaoithe (Scots Gaelic for ‘Forth of the Two Winds’) is Mull’s second highest mountain. At 2,513 feet (765.9 metres) high, this gem stands out as the island’s only Corbett, a Scottish mountain between 2,500 and 3,000 feet (762–914.4 metres) with a prominence of at least 500 feet (152.4 metres). Those yearning for a challenge but not ready to go all out with the intensity of a Munro will appreciate this golden-flecked peak. Be warned that Dùn da Ghaoithe does have a kick in her step that comes in the form of a thrill-inducing ridge and deep brooding quarries. With emerald sea views from virtually every vantage point, what’s not to love?
The coastal walks are beyond compare
Beaches of sugar-white sand and black diamond cliffs trimmed by invigorating seas form much of Mull’s coastline, yet it’s the patches of quartz that catch the eye. Whether a brisk stroll to get the blood flowing or a remote, contemplative wander, there are miles of coastal space for everyone. Burg is only reachable on foot by climbing the iron ladder lining the beach’s cliffside – look out for the 50-million-year-old tree trunk cliff imprint, rare Scotch burnet moth and wildlife galore. Calgary Bay sports crystal sands, while the cove of Carsaig is famed for its sea arches, secret caves and waterfalls.
Wild swimmers brace yourselves for what Mull has in store
A practice as old as time but currently experiencing a comeback, wild swimming is all the rage these days. Bonnie Scotland just so happens to be riddled with wild spots tailored to dipping your toes in the icy cool waters, and Mull is no exception. Despite the name, Loch Pottie is a joy for such shenanigans and is strategically placed close to Ross of Mull Bunkhouse, a dream accommodation spot for outdoor lovers. Fidden Beach boasts ice-cream-white sands and translucent waters akin to some tropical paradise. Then again, why not go all out in the Sound of Mull, complete with boisterous tides!
Mull is one of the UK’s best wildlife-watching destinations
Mull’s status as one of Scotland’s best whale-watching spots is a reason in itself to visit. Basking sharks, dolphins, otters and seals share the surrounding waters too. It also happens to be one of the greatest places to see ultra-rare white-tailed sea eagles, golden eagles and hen harriers, to name but a few bird species that populate the island. Whether walking along a hidden beach or scaling Ben More, all you need to do is look, and nature will come to you.
The photo-friendly views put it all into perspective
It’s the little moments that count in life, such as true friendship or that soul-moving view that one time on the Isle of Mull! This Inner Hebridean island is a known photographer’s paradise and a colourful canvas of natural beauty. The ‘Mirrie Dancers’ or Northern Lights reveal their divine presence on a regular basis too. From Tobermory’s candy-coloured buildings and the hidden coves to the show-off hills like the twin-peaked Corra-bheinn or Ben Buie with its craggy top, there’s no shortage of photogenic sites awaiting social media fame.
Scotland’s sacred island and one of the world’s greatest natural wonders are just a boat ride away
Although Mull is jam-packed with enough adventure travel activities to fulfil even the most ambitious desires, thrill-seekers can take advantage of the treasures that lurk close by such as Fingal’s Cave and Iona. Jump on a boat to the uninhabited island of Staffa and find Fingal’s Cave. A series of hexagonal basalt columns garnish this enormous cathedral-like sea cave, while the natural acoustics send shivers up the spine. The tiny island of Iona exudes serenity and makes for picture-perfect walks along the bays and to the ancient Abbey.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.