If your honeymoon period is over, don’t despair. There is a town in Scotland that is meant to rekindle the love and offer you the chance to enjoy a relaxing break away from it all. St Andrews has plenty of charm, coupled with views to take your breath away. Here’s why we think this place is romantic heaven.
The stunning scenery
St Andrews boasts some of the most gorgeous landscapes, ideal for couples who are looking for a secluded, lush haven. From incredible views of the coast to ample greenery and fresh air, the town has a charm of its own. Here, you will find quaint fishing pools, sparkling blue waters and picture-postcard sights that will capture your memories forever.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Don’t miss these top fly-fishing spots in St Andrews.
The picnic locations with a view
The town brims with pretty spots that are perfect for a wonderful picnic. Often amid eye-soothing greenery or next to peaceful lakes, these locations guarantee plenty of moments in quiet bliss, with tasty intervals. The calm West Sands beach is definitely one to consider.
To spend more time in the great outdoors, you might want to camp here – so make sure to browse through our guide to the best camping sites in St Andrews.
The serene boat rides
Every romantic break should include a boat ride, and St Andrews offers the perfect place to do just that. Cruise down the Firth of Forth under the well-known Forth Bridge and gaze at the islands all around – this will be a boat trip to remember.
The award-winning fish
The food, and especially the fish, is second-to-none here. St Andrews restaurant Cromars was even voted the best fish and chip shop in Scotland in the National Fish & Chip Awards in 2016 and 2018. Tuck into delicious fresh fish dishes, while marvelling at the beautiful surroundings. This is how food should be experienced, right?
If you feel like exploring the town’s culinary scene, why not take this St Andrews private food walking tour?
The rich history and culture
St Andrews is packed with historical and cultural sights; from the splendid ruins of St Andrews Cathedral to the St Andrews Museum or the MUSA (Museum of the University of St Andrews), this is the place to dig deep into Scottish heritage. What’s more romantic than stepping into the Middle Ages together, strolling amid ancient ruins and crossing old stone bridges hand in hand?
This romantic tour of St Andrews will take you around the highlights – with a dash of love.
The castles and palaces
This small town bursts with castles and palaces, so it’s only fair they get their own spot on this list. If you want to feel like royalty on your romantic break or take on the role of prince or princess, then you may want to visit some of them. St Andrews Castle has to be the most impressive, having served as a bishop’s palace, a fortress and a state prison during its 450-year history. Wander around its grounds and make the most of the unparalleled views out to sea.
Feel like sleeping in an actual castle? Check out these castles in Scotland that you can stay in.
The marvellous beaches
St Andrews is home to three beaches, the most popular being West Sands. Its long sandy shore is ideal for a relaxing walk next to your significant other, as dog walkers, joggers or other couples pass you by. Don’t worry, there’s plenty of space for everyone. Plus, the sunsets are truly magical here.
A fun beach day can only end with a good night’s sleep. We’ve got you covered with our selection of the best boutique hotels in St Andrews.
The golfing, the spa and the afternoon tea
Also known as the Old Lady, St Andrews’ Old Course is the oldest golf course in the world, attracting die-hard golfers all year round. But even if you’re not the golfing type, there’s a lavish hotel on site, where you can instead indulge in spa treatments alongside your partner. Book your stay at the Old Course Hotel and pamper yourselves with hot baths and Chinese massages at the Kohler Waters Spa. Then head to the Old Course conservatory for afternoon tea for two; this is one of the best around, but there are many more places serving tea and fluffy pastries around town.
Keen to learn more about St Andrews’ golfing heritage? Join one of these golf-oriented history tours.
Between gothic structures and medieval ruins, the architecture in St Andrews leaves no one unimpressed. Apart from historical landmarks and imposing castles, the town is also home to a number of museums which stand as architectural gems in their own right – such as the St Andrews Museum, housed in a plush Victorian mansion, or the R&A World Golf Museum with its peculiar, ochre-painted semi-glass facade. Pick your favourite building and pose for a loved-up selfie in front of it, next to your sweetie.
To get a better sense of the town’s architecture, browse through this guide that takes you on a tour around St Andrews’ architectural landmarks.
For more inspiration, check out the top things to do and see in St Andrews.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.