Once the site where the RMS Titanic was built and departed from, in 1912, the Titanic Quarter is now one of largest urban-waterfront sites in the world. At 185 acres, the Titanic Quarter is home to approximately 18,000 people, and an additional one million visitors every year who come to visit the national museum, Titanic Belfast, and the surrounding markets, studios, and marina, in Northern Ireland. Here are some of the top reasons you should plan a trip to this heritage site today.
Samson and Goliath and built in 1969 and 1974, respectively, these cranes have become key landmarks and are startlingly visible on the Belfast skyline. Contrary to popular belief, these two cranes did not help build the RMS Titanic, which had its voyage over 50 years earlier in 1912. Nonetheless, their owners, Harland & Wolff, did construct the famous ship along with its counterpart RMS Olympic in 1911. Today, the Harland & Wolff docks are a reminder of Belfast’s rich marine history, and a beautiful site to spot in the city’s Titanic Quarter.
Samson and Goliath, Titanic Quarter, Belfast, UK
Europe’s Best Attraction of 2016, Titanic Belfast is an exciting collection of artifacts, special effects, and galleries on the building site of the RMS Titanic. Over nine floors, visitors will discover the inner workings of the ship, stories from passengers, and simulations of the original architecture. Be sure to get a picture on the staircase recreated James Cameron’s 1997 Titanic feature.
Titanic Belfast, 1 Olympic Way, Queens Road, Titanic Quarter, Belfast, UK, +44 28 9076 6386
Next to the Titanic Belfast sits the SS Nomadic, the original tender ship to the RMS Titanic, often called her “little sister.” The ship is now returned to its original city, fully restored for visitors to explore inside. The ship is perfect for history buffs who want to recreate the steps of the first-class passengers of the RMS Titanic who were brought out to the ship by the Nomadic. Highlights include the famous crew quarters and the flying bridge deck on the exterior.
SS Nomadic, Hamilton Dock, Queens Road, Belfast, UK, +44 28 9073 7860
The Titanic Quarter is quickly becoming a major media hub, home to one of the largest film studios in Europe. Titanic Studios is most famous for hosting the cast and crew of HBO’s Game of Thrones, which has become a cultural highlight of Northern Ireland since the show first filmed in 2011. Visitors should be able to spot props from the famous throne room and other sets, and it isn’t unusual for locals to spot cast members in the city during filming season.
Titanic Studios, Queens Rd, Belfast, UK, +44 28 9023 2444
Located at the top of Belfast Lough, Belfast Harbour Marina is a beautiful walkway that hosts hundreds of vessels, including the famous Tall Ships in 2009. The area is a short walk from the Titanic Belfast and the SS Nomadic, and it includes room and board facilities for any ship owners leaving their vessels in the Marina Building. Only 10 minutes from the City Centre, this marina has a must-see view of the Lough for ship owners or tourists alike.
Belfast Harbour Marina, C/O Belfast Harbour Commissioners, Corporation Square, Belfast, UK, +44 28 9055 3015
This former ship warehouse has been transformed into a shared space for culture, sports, markets, and beyond for new generations to enjoy. From urban sports to nightclubs, T13 is a modern and vibrant space for those looking for something different to do in Belfast.
T13 Urban Sports Park & Event Space, Queens Road, Belfast, UK, +44 28 9002 3111
For a more authentic Titanic experience, the Dock And Pump House descends almost 50 feet into the Thompson dry dock, the biggest dry dock ever built, where the Titanic was constructed in 1912. Experience the Titanic from the perspective of the working-class builder, from the original dock to the original machines that built the ship. This guided tour is a must-see for a one-off experience of the Titanic in her final construction days.
Titanic’s Dock And Pump House, NI Science Park, Queens Rd, Queen’s Island, Belfast, UK, +44 28 9073 7813
Consider taking the Segway NI Titanic Experience tour to fit in as much sightseeing as possible. This tour covers all historical sites and walkways, including Titanic Belfast, SS Nomadic, the Dock And Pump House, the Odyssey Pavillion, and the surrounding area. A certified tour guide gives a short training session on a Segway and a tour of the area.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.