Don’t Breathe, currently atop the US box office, opens in the UK this week. The relatively low-budget thriller has already been tagged as the sleeper hit of the summer. In a break from the norm, Hollywood has been ready for its success this time around.
In the past, sleeper hits have flown under the radar by definition. The term, originally used by music industry insiders to denote records that were selling in unexpectedly high numbers, now more commonly refers to a film that over-performs at the box-office, despite it having been under-promoted and lacking star power.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The phrase itself is now bandied around indiscriminately and is often misappropriated by casual observers to describe any low-budget film that proves a big hit.
In Don’t Breathe, a group of young Detroit thieves break into a house they think will be an easy target. A tip-off about the wealthy owner’s incapacitated status turns out to be misleading, and as the tables are turned on the intruders a thrilling game of cat and mouse ensues. On paper, this could easily have been dismissed as a low-level premise, but the reviews and online reactions to the film immediately screamed ‘hit’.
Expect to see a swathe of films similarly themed movies coming soon – just don’t hold your breath expecting any of them to be a sleeper.
Hollywood in general has taken a battering this year. A recent survey estimates that total losses are already close to $1 billion. The studios may dispute the finer points of that alarming figure, but they are also waking up to the harsh reality that stars, franchises and even superhero movies are no longer guaranteed money-spinners.
That’s why everyone from studios to small independent production companies are desperately scrabbling to find the next low-budget movie that will make a huge profit. Just think how much money the next James Bond film will have to make to cover the rumoured outlay of $75 million on Daniel Craig’s salary alone. Then there’s the huge sum that will have to be spent on marketing and advertising.
Sleeper hits rely on industry buzz and word-of-mouth. Social media and guerrilla marketing also play a huge part in their success. On its release in 1999, the promotion team behind The Blair Witch Project presented the film’s fictitious events as factual via a series of cleverly designed websites. It worked spectacularly, as the low-fi horror movie kickstarted a sub-genre all by itself.
The main difference between movies that rely on word-of-mouth ‘promotion’ and blockbusters that inspire Monday morning ‘water cooler’ discussions is their audiences’ lack of a shared viewing experience. Cinemagoers rarely see smaller films on opening weekends. Whereas Suicide Squad became a hit because talking about it was a collective experience, the appeal of Don’t Breathe was spread by eager fans eagerly passing it on like a secret to their friends.
Foreign films often fall into the latter category, though by the time they are released in overseas territories, the cat is well and truly out of the bag and scampering toward the litter tray. Non-English language films almost always have to be a proven hit elsewhere before they are released in the UK and the US, by when they will be launched with big promotional campaigns.
Likewise Don’t Breathe can’t be considered a true sleeper hit anywhere other than in the US. Once it topped the box-office there, it was destined to be a sure-fire success elsewhere. The film has already covered its $30 million budget in its first week of release in America so is being aggressively promoted internationally.
Of course, the fact that so many saw the film in its opening week slightly undermines its status as a sleeper hit, but it does conform to the other parameters of unknown stars, low-budget and minimal promotion.
Horror is a particularly fertile genre for these types of commercially rewarding productions. The first Saw film struggled to get financing and was initially released as an apparently dispensable gory thriller, but it somehow found a huge audience. Critics often play a significant part because most sleeper hits come with a raft of enthusiastic reviews.
Napoleon Dynamite, Juno, and Little Miss Sunshine are other recent examples of sleeper hits. On release, none of their main actors were A-Listers and the films’ indie origins made it hard to predict how well they would do financially.
It’s all these different elements that have frightened movie producers in the past. If there is one thing studio executives hate, it is unpredictability. As seen from the number of sequels, reboots and literary adaptations recently released, when a formula works once, it will be repeated again and again.
Following a string of disappointing high profile failures this year, there is a sense that filmmakers and studios have been primed to capitalise more quickly on unforeseen hits. It no longer takes an extended run in the charts to raise awareness in Hollywood, early buzz has quickly been leapt on this time around.
Trying to forecast what the next big thing will be is an art form, and one that remains a mystery.
Don’t Breathe is on general release
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.