Known for its embassies, high-end fashion boutiques and luxury hotels, Mayfair might be pricey, but there’s plenty to explore in this prestigious neighbourhood. From browsing art galleries to visiting Jimi Hendrix’s former home, here are the best things to see and do in Mayfair.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Check out cutting-edge art
At the heart of Mayfair’s Piccadilly is the spectacular Royal Academy of Arts, an academy and exhibition space that’s been independently run and privately funded by artists for over 250 years. It’s known for its annual Summer Exhibition, an open-submission exhibition showcasing pioneering, vital works from contemporary artists. The RA also hosts an impressive permanent collection, boasting works from the likes of Angelica Kauffman, Dame Laura Knight and Tracey Emin. An institution that has shaped ideas and facilitated conversation about the visual arts since 1768, the RA continues to be at the cutting edge of Britain’s art world to this day.
Get suited and booted
Running through the heart of Mayfair, Savile Row has been the home of bespoke tailoring since the 1800s. Henry Poole, designer of the tuxedo, set up shop here in 1846, with many other tailors following suit (pun intended). Today, the name Savile Row has become synonymous with good quality, well-cut suits. The street isn’t only the holy grail of British menswear; it was on the roof of 3 Savile Row that The Beatles performed their famous final concert.
Have a picnic next to a haunted house
Forever immortalised in the 1940 romantic song A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square, Berkeley Square is a picturesque town square with a long history in the centre of Mayfair, designed and developed by architect William Kent in 1789. The Square is famous for the Grade-II listed building Lansdowne House at number 57, which was initially created for The Earl of Bute in 1763 and became home to three British Prime Ministers, as well as 50 Berkeley Square, which is reported to be ‘the most haunted house in London’. Berkeley Square today is surrounded by members clubs, galleries and shops, and makes for an idyllic spot to relax, lined with trees, benches and complete with a pre-Raphaelite fountain.
Experience music history
The respective residencies of 18th-century composer George Frideric Handel and rock guitarist Jimi Hendrix have been transformed into a museum that commemorates the lives and works of the two musicians. From 1723, Handel lived at 25 Brook Street for 36 years, while Hendrix moved in to the flat next door at number 25 over 250 years later, in 1968. Visitors to Handel House can take a peek into the famous composer’s rehearsal room, which contains an impressive harpsichord, as well as the room where he composed some of his most well-known works. Meanwhile, those checking out Hendrix Flat can experience the space in which Hendrix wrote music, had photoshoots and lived with his girlfriend, Kathy Etchingham, complete with mismatched rugs and furniture purchased by the couple from nearby department store John Lewis.
Enjoy afternoon tea
No trip to London would be complete without indulging in the much-loved English tradition of finger sandwiches, cakes and tea, and there’s no place in the city that does afternoon tea better than Mayfair. All of the neighbourhood’s luxury hotels serve up their own version of the traditional spread, but five-star Claridge’s might be one of the snazziest. Hosted in the glamorous Art Deco Foyer & Reading Room, Claridge’s afternoon tea sticks to the classic combination of warm scones, sweet cakes and savoury sandwiches, as well as tea selected by an in-house tea connoisseur and, of course, a classical pianist.
The Royal Institution of Great Britain is a Grade-I listed building, devoted to the practice of scientific education and research, and located on Albemarle Street. Over the last two centuries, The Christmas Lectures have become a much-loved tradition, with renowned speakers covering a variety of scientific subjects. The public can access books, instruments and diagrams at the Heritage and Collections – which holds materials dating back to 1799 – as well as attend talks and events throughout the year.
Admire artistic fashion displays
A concept fashion space that feels more like an art exhibition than a retail store, Dover Street Market is a haven for fashionistas. Its flagship outlet in Mayfair houses collections from high-end and streetwear designers including Balenciaga, Lanvin and Raf Simons. The multi-storey space defies convention, with artists and designers collaborating to create immersive, artistic displays.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.