No matter your ability, experience or desire, there are a wide range of swimming courses and lessons to make the most of in London. Culture Trip guides you through some of the best on offer.
With a fairly holistic approach, Swimming Nature is based on the premise that everything is rooted in a unique and passionate teaching method. All their instructors train their pupils in the water, so you learn the correct mechanics of the four recognised strokes from the offset. You learn how, why and what you should be doing – which means no doggy-paddle or armbands. Pick from more than 30 pools across London.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
London Aquatics Centre
Beginners start by learning the basics of floating in the water, and incorporate strokes while being supported by foam floating tools. At the end of the course, you’ll be able to do all four basic strokes.
In addition, there is a CoursePro app which instructors will update during and after each lesson with a performance review. Your instructor rates your most recent performance and will track improvement over time to focus on what you’ll need to improve for the lessons ahead. And all in arguably London’s most beautiful pool.
Great for adults, the lessons offered by Turner Swim are suitable whatever your current ability, all in Le Méridien Piccadilly, a spectacular five-star hotel in central London with a chlorine-free pool. Their main philosophy is to encourage people to progress at their own pace, and they strive to make swimming enjoyable by using modern teaching techniques. Instructors also explain the science behind swimming to enhance understanding of the practice and to match your style of learning. If desired, intensive swimming lessons to maximise muscle memory are also available.
Serpentine Swimming Club
Situated in London’s Hyde Park, the Serpentine Swimming Club is an open air swimming club open all year round, affiliated to the Amateur Swimming Association. The main activities club revolve around the morning handicap races, held every Saturday throughout the year. Wet suits are not permitted for the races so you’ll have to brave the chill. If you are a prospective new member, the best thing to do is to go along on a Saturday morning to meet and chat with the other swimmers.
South London Swimming Club
The SLSC is a members’ club located in Tooting Bec Lido. Measuring 100 yards long, it is the largest freshwater pool in England and is run by volunteers who work closely with Wandsworth Council to ensure it remains a viable and valued resource for the community. The Lido is open every single day of the year despite not being heated, and as wet suits are allowed, it can be a great spot for triathlon training.
#coldwater #swimming #slsclido #tootingbeclido
A photo posted by The South London Swimming Club (@slsclido) on Dec 11, 2016 at 8:54am PST
Swim For Tri
Divided into fitness or skill sessions, this company offers lessons in two locations – Upminster and Hyde Park. Within the different types of lessons available, swimmers can select between one-on-one training, weekend workshops and courses to improve fitness or stroke technique.
With four pools across London, in Knightsbridge, Fulham, City of London and Tower Bridge, Strictly Swimming offer private one-to-one lessons that are suitable for adults of all levels, from new beginners to triathletes and competitive swimmers. During each private swimming lesson, you will have use of one lane at any venue with your coach, making it a fantastic learning environment. Novice swimmers should know that the depth of the pool at all venues is 1.2 metres – usually around waist height.
With indoor pools and open water venues, swimmers can take their pick of sessions offered by RG Active depending on their personal requirements. Locations include Hampstead Heath, Stoke Newington, Walthamstow and Hampton. If, however, you want a bigger commitment, then the company also offers full swim workshops in Majorca. You can train as hard or as long as you want, knowing that after the session you can go back to your hotel room, relax and let your body prepare itself for the next session.
As well as their pools in Barbican and Farringdon, this company offers home lessons. So, if you’re lucky enough to have your own pool, or have access to a private pool somewhere, instructors can come to you and offer one-on-one training.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.