With new and exciting restaurants and coffee shops popping up every week in east London, there’s ample opportunity to eat well. But when you’re on the run and it’s a healthy fix that you’re after, there’s nothing that will deliver quite like a salad bar. Here, we list the best of what’s on offer in the easterly part of the city.
Discover the best salad bars in central London here.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fussy eaters, you’ve met your match in Vital Ingredient, because the concept here is that you can choose exactly what goes into your salad, from the style of leaf in the base to the dressing on top. Ingredients are prepped daily to ensure optimum freshness, and if you’re feeling uninspired or you’re in a rush, there’s always the pre-made bowls to satisfy the hunger pangs. For winter, we love the Roasted Butternut Warmer, and in summer, something lighter like the Oriental Prawn tops our list.
Bradley Hill founded his business, Simple Health Kitchen, to prove that clean eating doesn’t have to mean unexciting mealtimes. There’s a freshly made selection of salad dishes on offer each day, and it’s a mix-and-match situation so you can craft your plate to suit your cravings. From kale and rainbow chard, to black rice with apricots, expect some surprising but delicious combinations that will make staying on track all the more effortless.
If chain salad bars aren’t your thing, then make Ginger and Mint in East Village your go-to, as it’s a little more personal than some of those that you might find on every London street. The aim is to inspire customers to lead healthy, active and happy lives so there’s a positive vibe about the place from breakfast to lunch when their selection of 8 different salads, hot dishes and wraps become the focus.
There’s something novel about the presentation of the dishes at Salad Box as they come artfully positioned in a branded box, making healthy eating feel just that little bit more fun. What we particularly like about this place is the tagline below each menu option that adds a little more insight into the benefits of each dish. Looking for a lunch that’s ‘packed with protein’? Salad Box recommends the Alaska, but if you want to ‘fill up and feel good’ then it’s the Boston that should tick the box.
Part of the oh-so-pretty Daisy Green collection and positioned in picturesque Broadgate Circle, Beany Green is so much more than just a place you can grab a quick salad between meetings. It’s designed with two coffee hatches, which means there’s a constant buzz about the place, and it serves up Australian-inspired dishes, fresh juices and some of the best coffee that we’ve managed to get our caffeine-loving hands on. If you’ve got time, definitely dine in here and enjoy the presentation of the food and the atmosphere as well as the fresh ingredients, delightful combinations and interchangeable menu.
If you’re a lover of a personable atmosphere and evidence that there’s love behind every dish on a menu, then family-run Café Below in Bow might just be the spot for you. Not as much of a grab-and-go establishment as some of the others in our list, it’s so inviting you’ll want to dine in and perhaps while away the afternoon moving from salad to coffee and settling in with a magazine if you’ve got the time. Each day, the kitchen serves up three different salad options, all served with a protein dish as well. Expect interchangeable vegetable concoctions to sit alongside smoked salmon or goat cheese soufflé.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.