Camden has been the centre of the music scene in London since the punks took over in the late 70s. Now fully established as the place to see live music, you are spoilt for choice for places to rock out. We give you, the best music venues in Camden.
One of the most striking and impressive music venues in the city, the vast, round auditorium is both grand and intimate. Originally built in 1847 as a railway turntable, the Roundhouse opened as a performing arts centre in 1964. The natural round shape of the building makes it perfect for live music, with great acoustic and good views from any spot in the place.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Electric Ballroom is the essence of Camden. Hedonistic and a bit shabby, it has been at the heart of the Camden music scene for decades. Hosting legends from The Clash to Sid Vicious, it certainly has the credentials to go down in history as one of the key musical hot spots in the country.
Camden Assembly (Barfly)
Formerly known as the Barfly, over the years this place has welcomed all the greats. It’s a Camden institution that peaked in popularity during the 90s. With three floors to it, it’s a cool hangout even if you’re not seeing a gig. A full bar and food by delicious merchants Lucky Chip mean you can settle in for an extended session. Music and food lovers assemble!
Formerly known as the Palace Theatre, KOKO retains the grandeur from its theatrical glory days and now hosts music comedy and cabaret in style. Set over multiple levels with several bars and a huge dancefloor, it is steeped in musical history, from Prince’s afterparties to Madonna’s first UK performance, it’s right old local legend.
As the name suggests, this award winning live venue focuses on the jazzier side of things. However, it’s also a great place to catch wall-shaking hip hop gigs and see the coolest American musicians making their first steps onto the UK scene, for instance the unstoppable Francis and The Lights. If you don’t know who that is, find out now.
If you’re an up-and-coming band wanting to make it in the Big Smoke, Dublin Castle has got to be one of the stops on your journey to the top. It’s been that way for years. Nothing fancy, in fact, cynics would say it’s downright dilapidated, but the posters covering the walls are a good indication of some of the musical royalty who have played here, including Oasis and Madness.
02 Forum KT
This beautiful Art Deco building is the place to see bigger acts from around the world. It’s a huge space that can hold around 2,500 bodies. The beer isn’t cheap, but it’s the price to pay if you want to see music’s heavy hitters.
In the basement of the World’s End, this dark and dingy dungeon plays host to the more leather-clad aspects of the wonderfully diverse musical landscape. Expect a heavy programme of metal, punk, screamo and anything that brings darkness, doom and destruction. Sound like some sort of subterranean hell? Guess again: there’s air conditioning. Jolly good.
A Camden Lock stalwart, Dingwalls brings artist-band intimacy to a whole knew level. Simple stuff here. Big room, bar at the back. Stage at the front. You never quite know who you’re going to get, but why not take a gamble and get up close and personal with what could be the next big thing?
The Camden branch of this all-American bar is almost identical to its Shoreditch and Brixton sisters. Think lashings of Jack Daniels, blues, country, rock and Americana music, and piles and piles of greasy Texas barbecue. This may be over simplifying things a bit. There are actually over 50 varieties of bourbon to sip through and it’s not all stodgy junk food dripping in BBQ sauce, there’s a salad too. Bop off your meal to a great live music act.
Located in Camden market, Proud used to be a sanctuary for sick and injured horses in need of a bit of TLC. Nowadays, despite the cobbled floors and stables (now booths) remaining, it’s a very respectable bar and live music venue. Hay, why not try it out.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.