Camden is the original cool-kid destination in London. Its sprawling market, underground gigs and legendary nightclubs – including KOKO and Egg London – attract celebrities and backpackers alike. Whether you’re coming to see the sights, make new friends or just have some fun, these Camden hostels offer something to suit all tastes – bookable on Culture Trip.
Not for the faint-hearted, St Christopher’s is a true party hostel; it has its own bar and organises daily pub crawls through Camden. Voted Best Large Hostel Chain in 2016, it’s a reliable, comfortable choice that won’t come with any nasty surprises – just a proper London pub vibe and lots of fun. Rooms range from private twin to 10-bed mixed dorms, but all come with an en-suite bathroom.
Part of the Mornington – a hostel specifically for women – the Hurdwick in Camden is great for solo travellers and those anxious about visiting London for the first time. Stylishly designed and located inside a cool townhouse, the deluxe double rooms also feature en suites, which makes for a comfortable, friendly atmosphere. It doesn’t have the party environment you’ll find at some city hostels, but it feels far more luxe than your usual dorm room. The private patio is a highlight, while free towels and soap also help justify the higher nightly rate.
A consistent favourite among solo travellers, Hostel One in Camden has a welcoming pub environment with top-class staff and a fun atmosphere. Social activities are high on the agenda, making this a great option for backpackers hoping to make new friends and party. Dinner, which is usually a vegetarian option, is part of the booking package here, so you won’t spend a fortune eating out locally.
The perfect location for those hoping to see London, this hostel is right next to Camden’s famous markets. The rooms and chill-out areas at Smart Camden Inn are basic, but clean, and prices are reasonable for such a central location. Free breakfast is a highlight, and be sure to seek out the friendly staff, who are are more than happy to advise you on local hotspots.
Located slightly out of Camden in green and pleasant Swiss Cottage, Palmers Lodge has a more relaxed atmosphere than most others in the area. The Victorian mansion gives a sense of a boutique English countryside hotel but, in reality, you’re only a short tube journey from Central London. The recently renovated interiors have a real St Trinian’s vibe (in the best kind of way) and the outdoor garden is a great place to chill and meet new people – when the weather allows.
Fancy discovering more budget-friendly places to stay in London? Check out our pick of the best hostels to book in London, England, bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.