The host of fitness studios and classes available to us in London can sometimes feel a little overwhelming. But, if you’re looking for a workout that promises to put the fun back into exercise then perhaps try a dance class? Here, we list the best dance studios in London, from those that offer a quick-fix cardio workout to something a little more disciplined.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Arguably the most famous dance studio in London, Pineapple Studios maintains its prestigious position at the top of our hitlist for various reasons. Firstly, the timetable is unrivalled, offering over 250 classes per week in its 10-studio location near Covent Garden. This alone means that the space is like something out of Fame the Musical as the corridors are constantly buzzing with leg-warmer clad dance enthusiasts. Secondly, disciplines are varied and each is taught by a world-class professional, so the level of quality is high. If that’s not reason enough, there’s a range of levels, from the utmost beginners to West End professionals looking to shake off the cobwebs post rehearsal.
Bringing something a little more seductive to the fitness industry, Studio 68 holds classes such as Heels – which, incase you needed it spelling out, is a dance class performed completely in heeled shoes; and pole dance, a fantastic core workout that’s significantly harder than you might think. In addition, the timetable boasts some exciting concepts such as Locking, Popping, Afro Swing; and Acro for Dancers. Intrigued? We thought so… find the full timetable here and head down to the Southwark studio to try something new.
Whether you’re looking to develop your technique in a specific area of dance, keen to try something new or your main objective is to sweat, there’s sure to be a session in the Danceworks program that will tick the box for you. One of the few places in the city where you’ll find Intermediate Tap on the timetable, it offers teachings in traditional disciplines as well as something a little more contemporary – perfect for those wanting to reconnect with a medium that they might have practised in the past (does ‘good toes, bad toes’ ring a bell for anyone?). Alongside this, they also offer Musical Theatre and singing workshops which may be of interest… channel your inner West End superstar, don a pair of legwarmers and prepare to leave feeling upbeat, exercised, and altogether great.
Seen On Screen
If you’re looking for a class that lets you step out of your own shoes and into that of your favourite disco diva then Seen On Screen should be your first port of call. Classes are designed to teach you the routines from some of the entertainment industry’s most iconic music videos and stage performances and they sit under the categories; Diva, Hip Hop, and Swag. Need we say more? Expect to strut (there’s a masterclass dedicated to perfecting this art), sweat and sashay your way through the session and feel altogether prepped for hitting that dancefloor come the weekend.
Putting the sass into classic yoga moves, Voga classes are set to a 1980s House soundtrack and the concept fuses yoga with dance in a way that feels fresh, fun and newly challenging. Perfect for experienced yogis looking to bring a new dimension to their practice but equally suited to those who fancy dipping their toe into the water without taking it too seriously, there really isn’t anyone who shouldn’t try out this studio. Whilst the Voga Classic class introduces you to the concept during the 45-minute sessions, there are also Madonna Specials and Silent Discos available to book, plus they offer a hilarious-sounding hen or stag do packages.
Multiple locations across London
Dance Attic Studios
A feel-good atmosphere is an essential element for a dance workout and that’s something that Dance Attic Studios masters particularly well. The timetable spans everything from Zumba to Bellydancing, Ballroom and Latin to Jazz Funk, so there’s a true variety here. Classes cost an affordable £5-7 which is a welcome breath of fresh air considering some of the alternatives in London. There’s also a real sense of community at this Fulham-based establishment – nothing flashy, just a good honest dance class.
Barrecore has been operating in London since 2011 and at the time of its launch, it was the only studio teaching ballet barre in the city. It still remains one of the most prestigious brands today and it operates out of 12 different studios across the UK. Instructors undergo 200-hours worth of training before they can lead a class so the quality here is high and sessions range from everything as gentle as Stretch which is designed to elongate and detoxify your muscles, to Signature Advanced where you’ll experience a higher level of repetitions and less recovery time throughout the 45-minute workout. If barre is your dance class of choice then add this studio to your list of must-trys.
Whether it’s Frame Rave, Music Video, Cardio Barre or Dance Cardio that you’ve booked in to at Frame, we promise that you’ll leave with a spring in your step and a smile on your face. The idea here is to work hard and have fun at the same time and there’s no better way to do so than with an upbeat, sweaty dance session to a feel-good playlist. Instructors have an infectious energy and it’s as much about the social as it is the workout, so grab a friend, slip on some Lycra and get ready to remind yourself that exercise can be fun. Stay tuned because Frame is due to open its 5th London studio in Fitzrovia by the end of 2017…
Caramelo Latin Dance School
If you’re focused on Latin dance then make Caramelo at the Paddington Academy your destination of choice. Its comprehensive class offering (from Batcha to Cha Cha Cha) allows you to be specific about exactly what it is that you want to learn or if you’re unsure at the start, then it’s your chance to gain a better understanding of exactly what Latin dance means. From the one-day intensive courses to more detailed 4-week alternatives, pick your package, turn up and get ready to rival even the most impressive of Strictly dancers in no time at all.
Want more? Discover the best barre classes in London here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.